jQuery not supported.

Coolant Overflowing?

Re: Coolant Overflowing?

Postby 00pooterSS » Jun 10 2021, 5:34pm

Point was perfectly clear the first time bro.

That's why I wrote in my post "I agree it needs to be pressure tested first" "and then if you don't find any leaks try a cap"

We are helping him diagnose it first, by telling him to look at fans, look for leaks, watch temp, check thermostat, and telling him what to do if he doesn't find anything during diagnosis.
2014 Sierra SLT. K&N intake, ported TB, SE headers, 3.5" exhaust, dropped 3.5/5.5 custom drop by me. 24's. Tuned by Sam.
00pooterSS
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 1
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SS » Jun 10 2021, 9:38pm

I concur with all you guys - pressure test is always a good idea, but I didn't see him mention that he suspected a leak, OP simply said he over-filled, so I never even thought of doing a pressure test, but it never hurts to do one.

OP, what's the verdict? Find a problem? Still overheating at all? We always like to see resolutions to the problem, and we like to see the 'solution'! Thanks............ ;)
Chevy-SS
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 1500 4WD 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby badbruin44 » Jun 11 2021, 4:14am

Ya did you find anything out of the ordinary? Let us know have you had it out for a road test after the coolant reservoir was at the proper level?
[gallery][/gallery]
badbruin44
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 2500 6.0L CAI Gibson
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby cbellew22 [OP] » Jun 17 2021, 12:33pm

Chevy-SS wrote:I concur with all you guys - pressure test is always a good idea, but I didn't see him mention that he suspected a leak, OP simply said he over-filled, so I never even thought of doing a pressure test, but it never hurts to do one.

OP, what's the verdict? Find a problem? Still overheating at all? We always like to see resolutions to the problem, and we like to see the 'solution'! Thanks............ ;)

So I did find something...while overfilling may have been part of the problem, there was a massive leak (2-3 drops per second) coming through the head gasket on the driver side. Gonna be fun tearing it apart :/ Oh well it is what it is. I'll replace both of them while I'm at it though.

I do have a couple of questions about that though. In what order should I put the head bolts back on, or does it matter? Also, what is the sensor that goes on the side of the head for the driver side?

Next question, I have already pulled my spark plugs out and notice they looked extremely dirty, except for one. They are only about 6 months old and have probably around 3,000-5,000 miles on them. Is this normal?
Attachments
IMG_6343.JPG
IMG_6344.JPG
Original Poster
cbellew22
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 49
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SS » Jun 17 2021, 12:57pm

Christian... thanks for posting.... Wow, that stinks, but good find.
Here's a page on LS head install: https://build.torqued.io/ls-cylinder-he ... procedure/

If you're gonna take the heads off, I might consider have a machine shop going through them. I see you say you're gonna 'replace' both of them, but if you go with used parts, then I would still have a machine shop go through the replacement parts. If it was me, that's what I would do. If it (the head) is leaking around the gasket, there's a decent chance the head could be ever-so-slightly warped and a good machine shop could check/true the head as required. It would truly suck to go through all that work and re-install a warped head, only to have the problem re-appear in a short time. You want this to be a 'one & done' type of job. Obviously, if you are using brand new heads (not necessary IMO) then just bolt them carefully into place, no need for machine shop. A reliable machine shop could quickly tell you if your current heads are good or are junk.

RE: your plugs - the most important part to look at is the business end (the electrode). It's hard to see all the ends in your pic, but the ones I see look OK. The electrodes should be clean and the ceramics should also be relatively clean, especially with only ~5k miles.
Chevy-SS
Topics: 7
Year: 2003
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 1500 4WD 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby B52Bombardier1 » Jun 17 2021, 1:48pm

Those porcelain spark ends of your plugs also look OK to me. The oil on the other ends is likely from leaky valve seals on the exhaust valve. At 180,000 miles, that is almost certain.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
1970 Chevy El Camino 5.3 liter LM7 Engine and 4L60E Transmission
B52Bombardier1
Topics: 2
Year: 1999
Extra Info: In A 70 El Camino
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Jun 17 2021, 2:43pm

One more thing to consider... while you have it torn apart, I would replace all the lifters and lifter trays. It would suck to put it all back together and have a lifter fail a short time later.

Better yet, do a full AFM delete. You've already got the heads off anyway. ;) And if you're going that far, replace the oil pump and O-ring.
'13 4x4 LC9 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Z82 Bght new, 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Stone Liner, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED 21,980 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 EC 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby 00pooterSS » Jun 17 2021, 4:35pm

There's oil all over the plugs externally, likely from leaking valve cover gaskets.

I agree with all the above advice, make sure you take the heads to the machine shop to have them checked over for straightness, valve leaks, and have new valve seals put on and valves lapped to refresh their sealing surface

The sensor you asked about is the coolant temp sensor

And get those nasty oily plugs off your brand new clean headgaskets! Keep the headgaskets clean and any contaminants off of them. Wipe the oil off that gasket and don't use any cleaner, it may remove the sealer that is applied to the gasket.

This entire job requires upmost attention to detail, don't be getting nasty stuff on the seals and sealing surfaces etc.
2014 Sierra SLT. K&N intake, ported TB, SE headers, 3.5" exhaust, dropped 3.5/5.5 custom drop by me. 24's. Tuned by Sam.
00pooterSS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby cbellew22 [OP] » Jun 17 2021, 8:22pm

Thanks for all of the advice!! I for sure will get all of that checked out. Don't worry the spark plugs were resting on a plastic sheet so nothing should be harmed lol. I'll keep y'all posted.
Original Poster
cbellew22
Topics: 49
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 00pooterSS » Jun 17 2021, 10:19pm

Lol :D
00pooterSS
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8