jQuery not supported.

Coolant Overflowing?

Coolant Overflowing?

Postby cbellew22 [OP] » Jun 08 2021, 10:42pm

So after I got done driving home from work earlier today (about an hour), I turned my truck off and immediately heard something splashing on the ground. I look out to see antifreeze steadily pouring on the ground. It looked like it was coming from the bottom of the reservoir but I couldn't tell for sure. I did hear a bubbling noise coming from a location I couldn't tell. The temperature never got above 210ish. NOTE: When I filled up my coolant a little before I drove it yesterday and I did add quite a bit more water than antifreeze concentrate. Could it just be the excess water boiling out of the system? Just seems weird to all come out at once.
Thanks for the help in advance!
Original Poster
cbellew22
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 49
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Coolant Overflowing?

Postby cbellew22 [OP] » Jun 08 2021, 10:53pm

Is it possible for the reservoir tank to crack? Just a thought...
Original Poster
cbellew22
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SS » Jun 08 2021, 10:54pm

It may be over-full, but it kinda sounds like it's overheating a bit. First thing I would check is radiator and make sure it's clean. Sometimes leaves or plastic bags clog the air flow. Next I would check fan operation, make sure its working OK. You should be able to feel lots of air movement.

Interestingly, an engine will usually get hotter right after you shut it off, because all the excess heat is not being scrubbed away by the various cooling mechanisms, so you will typically see a slight rise in engine temp, and then after a little while, it starts cooling down.

Another possibility is thermostat going bad. Or it simply could be result of you over-filling. I would say try it again and see what happens, but keep a careful eye on temps.
Chevy-SS
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 1500 4WD 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Jun 08 2021, 11:09pm

Definitely keep an eye on temp, but sort of sounds like a thermostat to me. I had a rash of them at work with out parts vans a few years back. The thermostats would start to fail and not open. They wouldn't really over heat by a noticeable amount, but when you shut the engine off and the coolant stopped circulating, it would pass coolant out if the cap. Just so happened that 3 of them failed withing about a month and a half time frame. All the vams were built the same month.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 141
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby cbellew22 [OP] » Jun 08 2021, 11:30pm

I'll definitely check the thermostat issue (truck has 180k miles on it so very well could be that haha). The fans turn on just fine and radiator is unobstructed. Is there a pressure release valve on the bottom of the reservoir? I checked the bottom of it and it looked like there was a little channel where over pressurized fluid could come out, though I thought the cap had the valve??
Anyways, thanks for y'alls help!!
Original Poster
cbellew22
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 00pooterSS » Jun 08 2021, 11:41pm

Try a new radiator cap too.

Caps do fail. They fail to maintain pressure and will allow the coolant to boil at 200 ish and boil over. Even if it doesn't overheat. The radiator cap is the only thing that keeps the coolant from boiling in a normal condition. f

Pressure raises the boiling point, if the cap doesn't hold pressure then your boiling point is right around 212. Pressure raises that boiling point usually to 260 or higher.

Interesting side note, water will boil at 70 degrees under 30 inches of vacuum. The reason I say this is to emphasize the importance of a properly functioning radiator cap to keep it from boiling over.

You may have something else going on, but radiator caps are often over looked.
2014 Sierra SLT. K&N intake, ported TB, SE headers, 3.5" exhaust, dropped 3.5/5.5 custom drop by me. 24's. Tuned by Sam.
00pooterSS
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 1
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby cbellew22 [OP] » Jun 09 2021, 12:25am

Thank you I'll try that as well! I think I am just going to replace the reservoir, thermostat, and radiator cap as well. Might as well change them all at once. I will keep y'all posted.
Original Poster
cbellew22
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Walkers » Jun 09 2021, 3:28pm

You might be simply throwing away the money and effort. Diagnose the problem first, THEN make repairs.

You need to pressure test the system first. Then look at possible bad head gaskets, as that is a number one offender for pushing coolant out of the reservoir.
Walkers
Topics: 77
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 00pooterSS » Jun 09 2021, 5:41pm

Could be head gaskets but in the shop over heating is the number one offender for boiling over. Due to fans quitting working, or thermostat issues usually.

Or bad caps. I find bad caps far more than you might think. They get weak over time, and especially on gm's the O ring on the cap that seals it to the jug gets flat and can cause a pressure leak. But usually it's the spring that gets weak and won't maintain pressure.

I say this coming from 25 years experience as a tech. Head gaskets do cause it to happen, however I very rarely find bad head gaskets compared to other things. And it's even more rare for a head gasket to just go bad. Usually that's caused by severe over heating etc. Based on OP's description it's just randomly starting to lose coolant.

So it's most likely to be a leak, and I agree need to start with a pressure test. If no leaks are found the next step is put a new rad cap on it. Takes 2 minutes and cost $10. Absolutely worth a shot if no leaks are found.

he said it isn't over heating. They usually run hot with bad head gaskets and in some cases will actually melt the radiator. Seen that several times. So I'm leaning toward it not being a head gasket, but it is possible.
2014 Sierra SLT. K&N intake, ported TB, SE headers, 3.5" exhaust, dropped 3.5/5.5 custom drop by me. 24's. Tuned by Sam.
00pooterSS
Topics: 1
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Walkers » Jun 10 2021, 2:48am

My point was, diagnose first, then fix.
Walkers
Topics: 77
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8