jQuery not supported.

First Start After Extended Storage

First Start After Extended Storage

Postby KenMT [OP] » Mar 14 2015, 7:19pm

Hello,
I have a 2013 with a 5.3 in it and only about 6000 miles. I store it in the winter to avoid immersing it in the brine dumped on the roads and drive my thousand dollar beater in stead. The weather is now awesome and I am ready to get my pickup out and cruise. I am worried that since it has been sitting for about 4 months that there is going to be no oil distributed throughout the engine. I am contemplating pulling the coil power and cranking it for a little while to pump oil throughout, then reconnecting coil power and firing it up. One time before i started it without doing this and i could tell that it was running dry for maybe 5-10 seconds. I didn't care for that

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Has anyone done it before or does everyone just fire them up?
[gallery]https://www.silveradosierra.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=22962[/gallery]
Original Poster
KenMT
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: First Start After Extended Storage

Postby 19trax95 » Mar 14 2015, 7:49pm

I would probably just start and shut off right away a couple times.

Heck, I do that when I change the oil. Don't ask why, I just do.

But your idea certainly won't hurt. Just make sure to not let the starter run too long.

Oh and an easier way to make it crank but not start is to pull the fuel pump fuse or relay.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 137
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby semicrazy » Mar 15 2015, 12:06am

Good idea. I dont drive mine much in the winter either but I usually start it every other week and let it run for a bit.
semicrazy
Topics: 87
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2008
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 6.0L 4x4 LT crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Mar 15 2015, 12:23am

I have been storing a car since 1990, about 6-months of winter here. Right now I have a 2009 Cadillac CTS4 and I just start them up and let idle till the engine warms up and drive slowly around the local streets so the flat spots in the tires even out. Never in 25 yrs have I done anything different but put the battery charger on them before starting.

Ps - A month or so back I was dropping off a friend so she could pick up Tahoe from service. It was like -20 F and this car carrier rolled in loaded with new trucks and cars. The trucks on the top tier all came off at the dealer. Was windy, snowing rather heavy and I watch the driver unchain them, crawl up and get it, start they up and in a second he was backing them off the trailer. No warm time and brand new vehicles.
Last edited by Z15 on Mar 15 2015, 12:27am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

SYNTHOIL SUPPLY

►JOIN AMSOIL

My_Fleet
2021 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L Ultimate
2018 Polaris RZR S 900 EPS
2017 John Deere X738 4x4 Tractor/Snow Blower
Z15
Topics: 249
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2021
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Ultimate 4WD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby 1baddad » Mar 15 2015, 12:27am

Just curious as to why you didn't at least start a few times while being stored?
Helps circulate the oil and keep the battery strong
1baddad
Topics: 45
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Mar 15 2015, 12:29am

Causes condensation in the engine and exhaust. It can take a long time to burn off that condensation and since I can't drive it (snow bank), it will do is more harm than good.

If I was in your climate it would not make much difference but at 0 F and below, never really get hot enough to dissipate the moisture in the engine, trans, transfer case etc.

What I have had to do with this Cadi that I never had to with the Trans AM is put the charger on the battery monthly. Everything is electronic and the battery is down 1/2 in a month. Going on 6 yrs with OEM battery.
Mike

SYNTHOIL SUPPLY

►JOIN AMSOIL

My_Fleet
2021 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L Ultimate
2018 Polaris RZR S 900 EPS
2017 John Deere X738 4x4 Tractor/Snow Blower
Z15
Topics: 249
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2021
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Ultimate 4WD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby KenMT [OP] » Mar 15 2015, 4:13am

^^^ What he said. I don't want condensation to build up and everytime you start your engine after sitting for a while, it runs dry until the oil pump is able to prime and build pressure. I also periodically put the charger on it and keep her charged up.

After what Z15 said and some soul searching i think i am just going to start it up, It probably won't be until next weekend as I think I am going to have to work tomorrow. I always let it warm up before i drive it so i will do the same then. In addition I will probably take it for a longer trip, probably 50 miles or more one way just to make sure everything is copacetic again.

Speaking of vehicles being mistreated at the dealer... The other day i was at mine checking out some running boards and I saw a salesman start a used silverado (07-13 vintage), pull out of it's parking spot and tramp on the throttle racing through the rows of new cars. I was highly unimpressed to say the least.
[gallery]https://www.silveradosierra.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=22962[/gallery]
Original Poster
KenMT
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby KenMT [OP] » Mar 22 2015, 1:39am

Well, I got her out today. Just fired it up with no prep work other than checking the oil and what not. There wasn't even a hint of lifter tick when I started it. I let it idle until it got all the way up to temperature and then i took it on about 150 mile drive. Sure does put a smile on my face :D
Here she is!
Attachments
3_21_2015.jpg
Original Poster
KenMT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby semicrazy » Mar 22 2015, 1:51pm

I hear you brother. Had mine out crusin yesterday after being parked for the winter. I was grinning from ear to ear 8-)
semicrazy
Topics: 87
Year: 2008
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 6.0L 4x4 LT crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8