jQuery not supported.

Intake Manifold Porting

2008 Silverado

Intake Manifold Porting

Postby Alex_M [OP] » Mar 14 2017, 3:08pm

Last night I did a little bit of porting on my throttle body. Nothing major, just smoothing out some roughness from the cast and smoothing the hard edges. Came out pretty nicely and noticed a nice little bump at WOT. Was looking at doing a little more and had a couple questions.

First: Are the intake manifold gaskets reusable? I've heard mixed opinions on this. Are the same green o-ring style as the throttle body?

Second: Has anyone here done this? If nothing else I'd like to port match the intake to the heads. Is there anything else I can do to the intake? Ridges inside that can be reached with the dremel?

Anything else I need to know? Any specific tips from people who have done this before on these intakes?

Thanks everyone!
Original Poster
Alex_M
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 50
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Intake Manifold Porting

Postby sudden_impulse » Mar 14 2017, 3:19pm

I wouldn't reuse the intake manifold gaskets, that's how you get them to leak IMO.
sudden_impulse
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 1500 Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Intake Manifold Porting

Postby ferraiolo1 » Mar 14 2017, 3:33pm

I wouldn't reuse them ether. But after doing the same thing on many street/dirtbikes bikes, the gains are insignificant. I wouldn't bother going through the trouble of removed yours. If you have a fully built motor and want to squeeze every last bit of power out than yeah, but stock, no.

Only reason I ever did it was out of boredom while they were already off waiting on other parts to come.
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 102
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8