jQuery not supported.

Is a K&N Air Filter worth the money in a 5.3?

Re: Is a K&N Air Filter worth the money in a 5.3?

Postby BigBlueLB756 » Jan 06 2020, 12:26am

POP! goes the bubble!
I'm switching all my stuff back to "stock" tomorrow.
No more fun; just drive.
The [email protected]$$ Modder
2013 GMC Sierra SLT CC Z60 4x4 Mineral Green Metallic-TUNED
[email protected]$$ Catch Can Equipped/Mobil 1 Oil Cap Mod
32 DUMP CLUB MEMBER
Go away, boy; you bother me.
BigBlueLB756
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 42
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT Z60 4X4 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby jham0077 » Jan 06 2020, 12:39am

jake2250 wrote:
Regalguy80 wrote:A stock paper filter isnt as passive as a k+n. The only way to take in more air is to exhaust more air. It's not one or the other it's both. Has it ever occurred to anyone here that intake and exaust are components that work together. You get 5hp from a filter upgrade. You get 5hp from a muffler. But when you do them both you get 15hp. Where did the extra 5hp come from? Because they both work together.

Well I think I know exactly where that extra 5hp comes from. After Purchasing a complete cold air kit with air box, tube and wet filter I was sure I was going to see remarkable fuel savings and feel a HP gain when towing my trailer.
Truth be told, my fuel mileage did not change one bit. But in my mind, way in the back of my mind I could feel that extra 5hp Every time I pressed down on that long skinny pedal I could hear the whoosh of air growling into the engine.
Each time I pulled my trailer that complete CAI system that I spent a great deal of money on just growled along letting me know it was still there making POWER!
That vision of the money going over the counter and that big box I got, the afternoon I spent wiping down my engine compartment and shining up the new cold air system and how proud I was to see it when I opened the hood kept playing over and over way back in far depths of my mind telling me it was a wise investment and was surely adding pulling power,,,I could actually feel it in my seat!! Oh boy it was glorious!

Then after a years worth of pulling that trailer and watching my fuel figures it started to dawn on me It did Not help my MPG's at all!
And it started getting on my nerves that constant growl from pushing that skinny pedal down cause the more I pushed it, the louder that noise got and the voice in my head was telling me thats the sound of allot of fuel and air being sucked thru that big air pump under the hood!
The louder it got the more I realized I had NOT gained any extra Horse Power and I was just kidding my self and my wallet!
So I am of the opinion that these are for Race purposes only! And only for looks on the street.

That's good reading right there. For years everything I bought got a K&N stuck in it. I'd pull em and wash em as needed, throwing a paper spare in for the day+ it took to properly dry and absorb the oil after I applied it.
The older I get, to hell with washing and oiling filters. Wix, Fram, GM, other asst. manufacturers all make filters that drop right in place in a matter of minutes.
I am however thinking of a modular intake tube to kinda clean up the airflow and under the hood. The dyno curve showed hardly any gains, but the curve changed to lower rpm. Getting old and all, lower rpm is where my truck will stay.
Last edited by jham0077 on Jan 06 2020, 1:17am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Silverado
All stock for now....
jham0077
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adriver » Jan 06 2020, 1:06am

jake2250 wrote:
Regalguy80 wrote:A stock paper filter isnt as passive as a k+n. The only way to take in more air is to exhaust more air. It's not one or the other it's both. Has it ever occurred to anyone here that intake and exaust are components that work together. You get 5hp from a filter upgrade. You get 5hp from a muffler. But when you do them both you get 15hp. Where did the extra 5hp come from? Because they both work together.

Well I think I know exactly where that extra 5hp comes from. After Purchasing a complete cold air kit with air box, tube and wet filter I was sure I was going to see remarkable fuel savings and feel a HP gain when towing my trailer.
Truth be told, my fuel mileage did not change one bit. But in my mind, way in the back of my mind I could feel that extra 5hp Every time I pressed down on that long skinny pedal I could hear the whoosh of air growling into the engine.
Each time I pulled my trailer that complete CAI system that I spent a great deal of money on just growled along letting me know it was still there making POWER!
That vision of the money going over the counter and that big box I got, the afternoon I spent wiping down my engine compartment and shining up the new cold air system and how proud I was to see it when I opened the hood kept playing over and over way back in far depths of my mind telling me it was a wise investment and was surely adding pulling power,,,I could actually feel it in my seat!! Oh boy it was glorious!

Then after a years worth of pulling that trailer and watching my fuel figures it started to dawn on me It did Not help my MPG's at all!
And it started getting on my nerves that constant growl from pushing that skinny pedal down cause the more I pushed it, the louder that noise got and the voice in my head was telling me thats the sound of allot of fuel and air being sucked thru that big air pump under the hood!
The louder it got the more I realized I had NOT gained any extra Horse Power and I was just kidding my self and my wallet!
So I am of the opinion that these are for Race purposes only! And only for looks on the street.

I think the person who supposedly bought 15 of these things, and noticed 5hp increase across the board..

:roll:
:lol:
:roll:
:?

already knows da truf.
adriver
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: Reg cab 2wd 4.8 5spd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Regalguy80 » Jan 14 2020, 1:50am

I just watched a 2019 chevy 5.3. Stock it made 296hp on the first pass and 330tq at the wheels. the chassis dyno was an independent shop. I'd post a link but I wont. Its out there if people want to see. I seen the video. The cold air kit produced 15hp. I underestimated by 10. The truck on the dyno was stock. The k+n website claimes 15hp. Guess they know what their talking about.
Regalguy80
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 14
Year: 2005
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 LS 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adriver » Jan 14 2020, 1:59am

Regalguy80 wrote:I just watched a 2019 chevy 5.3. Stock it made 296hp on the first pass and 330tq at the wheels. the chassis dyno was an independent shop. I'd post a link but I wont. Its out there if people want to see. I seen the video. The cold air kit produced 15hp. I underestimated by 10. The truck on the dyno was stock. The k+n website claimes 15hp. Guess they know what their talking about.

Post the link. This just sounds like your talking out of your ass without it. Are we having an adult conversation with facts and details, or do you want to say "I could just prove it, but I won't".

P.S. Nobody said COLD AIR INTAKES don't work.... You had a hissy fit about K&N brand specifically.

OP was also working with a 2006. Cherry picking a 2019 to try to prove a point doesn't help you.
adriver
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: Reg cab 2wd 4.8 5spd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Jan 14 2020, 2:11am

Lol yeah. I have the intake that they use in those “15hp” gain videos.

I didn’t experience any gains.

You realize most of us on here are speaking from real world experience messing around with various configurations and parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 98
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby SierraWilks » Jan 14 2020, 2:19am

How can you tell? You'd never feel seat of the pants wise 15hp in an almost 5000lb vehicle.
SierraWilks
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 9
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Jan 14 2020, 2:22am

Exactly. Thus why they are all a waste of money. You don’t a mpg gain either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 98
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Regalguy80 » Jan 14 2020, 2:59am

A screen shot of my search is all u get. Its ur call to watch. Have fun
Attachments
Screenshot_20200113-185730_Google.jpg
Regalguy80
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Regalguy80 » Jan 14 2020, 3:01am

Brace for impact. Seatbelts buckles. Flame retardant sunscreen applied. Bring on the debate
Regalguy80
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8