jQuery not supported.

Is a K&N Air Filter worth the money in a 5.3?

Re: Is a K&N Air Filter worth the money in a 5.3?

Postby jake2250 » Jan 14 2020, 5:04am

I hope this gets in before it becomes the top of the Locked heap!

Any way,, 15HP is 15HP. I like that. If you can feel the improvement and you get improved performance, then you got a good one.
No matter who makes it, If it works and you feel it and like it, then Money well spent.
I feel I spent Way too much for what I got. And O chalked it up to a learning lesson. So well at least I got something.
I did not feel HP gains and saw a mpg loss. So for Me,, Not a believer.

But,, being I didn't watch the dyno video,, what rpm did it add HP? Was it in the power band?
I guess I didn't feel it was because I try not to run it at peak RPM all the time,, even when towing, the only time I got it wound tight is hills and freeway entrance's,, Now the hills,, It all slows down enough so that 15HP will not force my head back.
On the freeway,, well the noise from the CAI was so annoying, I wouldn't be trying to feel an extra 15HP.
Oh I also cranked it up when passing,, but still, it all seemed like slow motion so that 15HP was a mute point.

My days of making noise from the back and getting it from the front also are way long gone,, that all just pertains to before and after dinner now!

At my age,, what would be a good HP gain so that I could feel it and what do I need to get it there? I have run E85 and supposedly I get HP gains,, but the fuel gauge dropping so fast mutes that out..

If you are happy with the K&n then thats great, I was excited when I installed all of mine,, but the luster wore off fast.
jake2250
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Regalguy80 » Jan 14 2020, 5:20am

I've seen several videos. To answer your question as to where the power is. Peak is 15. Average gains through the rpm band is about 7.
Regalguy80
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 18
Year: 2005
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 LS 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Is a K&N Air Filter worth the money in a 5.3?

Postby ferraiolo1 » Jan 14 2020, 11:23am

Lol.

Also street speed 717 is a local guy to me. Everyone hate him. He does nothing but make click bait videos, that run was altered for YouTube hits and for him to get money from cai

Again.. I have that exact same intake, and truck..

If you bought a cai that cheap my bet is it’s the open box one. Which WILL be less efficient than your stock box.

But before you turn this into another circus. I’m out. Enjoy your 5+5=15 mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby B52Bombardier1 » Jan 14 2020, 1:51pm

I hate to pile onto these kinds of boastful discussions but I'd look at your Long and Short Term Fuel Trims after doing a cold air intake mod. Some of these mods cause a lot of chaotic air to reach the MAF sensor which confuses it.

It's sometimes like rearranging the deck chairs on Titanic. Why bother.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
1970 Chevy El Camino 5.3 liter LM7 Engine and 4L60E Transmission
B52Bombardier1
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Year: 1999
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: In A 70 El Camino
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Jan 14 2020, 4:02pm

This topic has been argued long enough. Points made pro and con.
'13 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Fire Red-Bought new. 2" level-Michelin 275/60/20-DiabLew-Webasto Moonroof-Borla Touring 32 dmp-Bedrug-Helwig-Rosen-Denali grille-Extang-Raptor-Boss plow-SL1 LED's. 20,425 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 Ext Cab
Group Membership:
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users
Previous

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8