jQuery not supported.

Is a K&N Air Filter worth the money in a 5.3?

Is a K&N Air Filter worth the money in a 5.3?

Postby kilbywill [OP] » Dec 20 2012, 6:42pm

My 2006 is a daily driver and I'm looking to get a K&N Air filter for just a slight improvement in throttle response just for the heck of it. I've heard that the full CAI system is not worth the money by itself because you'll notice very very little difference. That's why I thought about going for the filter, it's much cheaper, easier to install, and I can pick it up at my local Advance Auto. What do you guys think? Is the filter worth the 50 or 60 bucks?

By the way, I have an exhaust system installed but it's not Flowmasters like my sig says. The mechanic told my dad that it was just like Flowmasters but much cheaper and he's put it on countless newer trucks. It sounds great, but I have no idea what it is because I got it put on as a gift. Don't know if that helps answer my question or not!
Leveled, Diablo Tuned, Level 8 Guardian Wheels, Spyder LED Tails, Airaid MIT, LED interior lights, Dual Exhaust, Spyder CCFL Halos, 285/70R17 Falken Rocky Mtn ATS IIs
Original Poster
kilbywill
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 75
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2006
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Is a K&N Air Filter worth the money in a 5.3?

Postby StarsnBars » Dec 20 2012, 6:55pm

I put a drop in K&N filter in a truck I had a few years ago and thought I could tell the difference in throttle response, but it could of been a placebo effect just thinking it helped. Very slight difference , if any for me.
Was it worth it ? Yes, ended up with a cool window sticker on the back glass. :lol:
Good information for all:
The SilveradoSierra.com Commandments
StarsnBars
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 250
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: H.D. 2500 Vortec 6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rodcheapo » Dec 20 2012, 9:47pm

I think it's worth it to not change the paper out all the time....but I did not see a noticeable improvement in performance. Putting a full CAI this spring for shits, we'll see if that improves anything.
rodcheapo
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 Ext 4x4 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 1baddad » Dec 22 2012, 7:15am

I use AEM Dryflow and all you have to do is wash it out. No oiling required. Performance wise I noticed a slight increase in throttle response. Picked mine up for 40.00.
My brother put a Airaid Jr with synthamax dry filter on his Silverado and after driving it I will be buying one for my truck. Performance increase was very noticeable. 160.00
1baddad
Topics: 45
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby JCunningham » Dec 22 2012, 8:21am

oil gets on MAF and I dont trust a filter I can see thru
JCunningham
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 123
Year: 2017
Extra Info: 1500 4X4 CC 6.2L Max
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby waltersb » Dec 22 2012, 3:52pm

I have a drop in k&n looking at getting spectre intake. They only cost $150
Silverstar Ultras low, Magnaflow muffler,Debadged, spectre intake, hellwig helper springs, RC 3.5'' lift
waltersb
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 19
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 4x4 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby TXEDITIONSilverado08 » Dec 22 2012, 6:58pm

Hi, I got the full K&N intake on my 2011 Silverado w/ custom Magnaflow exhaust and a 03 Wrangler. I will say there is a increase in performance. Even with the simple swap of the drop in K&N is a little help but if you could save you're cash n get the full you're better off! Just remember with either choice don't forget to wash n oil your air filter regularly! People read the box once n forget! Ha but best wishes to you! By the I am experiencing 21.78 mpgs city and 28.81 Hwy.
TXEDITIONSilverado08
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2011
Extra Info: Texas Edition 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bombdiver » Dec 22 2012, 7:06pm

you can make your own CAI and get all the benefits for less than 50 bucks.
Voodoo: Lord did I McFly that all up....
bombdiver
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 17
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby shortround » Dec 23 2012, 9:41pm

NO !!!!! go dry filter!!!! having to clean and oil sucks after a while...... plus what do you do while are waiting for the filter to dry ??? can't drive it or buy a spare filter to swap out. cleaning oil out of tube it not fun either. my opinion take it or leave. I have a Volant with power core no maintenance for 100k. backed by the manufacturer... love it check it out

http://www.amazon.com/Volant-154536-Int ... 5199&sr=8- 1&keywords=volant+09+silverado
shortround
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3L ext.ca
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CritterGitter » Dec 30 2019, 7:04pm

Just the fact that you never have to buy another air filter again makes it worth it, IMO. Performance chat aside. Don't let the filter "Oil everywhere, OMG it's everywhere!" folks dissuade you either...

Make sure the filter is nice and dry after cleaning. (Baking in hot sun works the best or blast with compressed air) Then oil per the directions and wipe off the excess with a rag. Never had an issue with any vehicle as far as the MAF malfunctioning because of the K/N. Its the folks that oil the filter before its dry or apply way too much oil that create issues with the MAF.
CritterGitter
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2011
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8