jQuery not supported.

LC9 motor replacement progress Input needed

Top Transmission bolts (How to remove them)

Postby ukturf [OP] » Dec 31 2020, 5:09am

Good evening folks!
Im currently under going an engine replacement LC9 to LC9. Im following my Haynes manual and have successfully (given my lack of experience) removed 6 of the lower / mid bolts. My final push is to remove the wiring harness and other bits out of the way. Im hoping this allows access to the top bolts however ask for your advice on the best method to achieve success.

I currently have a 2 x 6 placed on a jack supporting the transmission pan, should I have additional support elsewhere as to not damage the pan or will this suffice? I have not unbolted the trans mount support and dont plan to unless its needed. Thoughts?
Original Poster
ukturf
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Group Membership:
Registered users

LC9 motor replacement progress Input needed

Postby ukturf [OP] » Dec 31 2020, 5:21am

It's been two productive days on the engine replacement and progress so far is steady and educational. Im to the point of removing the top bellhousing bolts, the bottom 6 are out along with the exhaust manifolds and steering shaft. Ive asked on another thread on the best way to get to and remove these bolts however I will throw it this direction for additional input as my haynes manual is extremely vague at this point given there steps of engine removal.

Any and all info would be greatfully appreciated.

I dont have help tomorrow so wiring harness prep, sensor connectors removed along with the intake manifold.

How would suggest removing the A/c Compressor, unbolting it and moving it to the aside or do I have to remove it completely?

Should I be concerned with removing the transmission cooling lines?

Anything else to look out for?
Original Poster
ukturf
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Top Transmission bolts (How to remove them)

Postby Walkers » Dec 31 2020, 5:44am

A jack and block is fine for support. Usually you end up getting at the top bolts from below using a u joint and several long extensions, or from the top with a wrench.
Walkers
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 62
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: LC9 motor replacement progress Input needed

Postby Walkers » Dec 31 2020, 3:44pm

PS pump and A/C compressor just unbilt and move aside. Bailing wire often helps hold them out of the way. Transmission cooler lines are removed from the radiator, try to plug them somehow or they tend to drip for a while. Remove any clips hilding them to the engine and then let them dangle. Then remove the radiator, fan, fan shroud, etc., let the condensor hang loose. Good time to pull the hood if not already done. Then get your wiring disconnected, dont overthink the wiring, take a few pics of how it lays in there, but the connectors only go to one thing. Hook up your hoist, unbolt those last two bolts, as discussed in your other thread, then bump the engine forward a wee bit, then up.
The reason engine hoist hydraulics are so strong is to test the tensile strength of any pieces of wiring, or cables that you missed. Double check before hoisting all the way out.
Then simple swap all ancillary engine components to the new engine and reverse the procedure. Shouldn’t take more than an hour or two.
Walkers
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Top Transmission bolts (How to remove them)

Postby Zrock » Dec 31 2020, 4:26pm

or you could just pull trans with engine and swap it when its out in full site. just drop the tcase off and pull. I would rather do that then lay under a veh getting the trans back in place. Couple of bolts and your done.. You could also pull with tcase if you pull the front clip
Zrock
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 58
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Dec 31 2020, 5:33pm

Topics merged. No need for duplicates on the same subject.
'13 ECSB 4x4 5.3 6sp 3.42 G80 Z60 Z82 Bght new, 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Stone Liner, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED 21,000 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 EC 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby ukturf [OP] » Jan 01 2021, 5:24am

Id rather split them up. Space and the unknown wouldn't let me do it!

I really appreciate the advice and comments. Im on a very short list. Unplugging sensors and moving them out of the way, still have the top bellhousing bolts but Ill wrap those up tomorrow.

I did not discharge the AC system so Im having to work around that radiator (I have no clue what its called) I am assuming that it would need to be discharged in order to actually move this out of the way?

Can I remove the power steering pump and simply refill it or will I to bleed something? (again I dont know)
Original Poster
ukturf
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Walkers » Jan 01 2021, 6:20am

You can remove it, but it is just one more oily mess to clean up.
Walkers
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ukturf [OP] » Jan 01 2021, 10:04pm

Excellent point. I ended up leaving it.

Can I still discharge the ac system? I really want that radiator thing out of the way prior to lifting the motor out. How would I accomplish this?
Original Poster
ukturf
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Jan 01 2021, 10:33pm

That is called a condenser. It really is not necessary to discharge the system. Put a piece of plywood in front of the motor so you don't bump it. Use heavy wire to hold the a/c compressor, etc., out of the way.
'13 ECSB 4x4 5.3 6sp 3.42 G80 Z60 Z82 Bght new, 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Stone Liner, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED 21,000 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 EC 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users
Next

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8