jQuery not supported.

Nealinator's Custom Catch Can Install

Low cost option to make your own

Nealinator's Custom Catch Can Install

Postby nealinator [OP] » Mar 25 2018, 7:52pm

Ok...the day has finally come. I got my catch can installed and now just to wait to see what collects.

First of all...an acknowledgement to George (BigBlueLB756) for all his input and help and his running thread: Cheap Catch Can Option

I had thought it possible to use an air/water separator to achieve a functional catch can and then after researching what all is entailed...I came across Georges thread who had already blazed the trail!

I will start off with the installed pic and a video of it running...then follow with details on what all is needed and how I went about it if anyone is interested.

The only downside I discovered...is that the valve on the bottom of the air/water separator does not hold under vacuum. It is designed to be under pressure. So no matter what position the valve is it...it is always sucking air. I put a rubber plug on the bottom for now. This may be ok...but not ideal for long term.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZTWdggpit0[/youtube]

I initially purchased a 1/2" air/water separator from Harbor Freight...but ended up not being able to find a suitable threaded ball valve to fit the end of it. What came on that required pressure to seal it so it was open with the engine under vacuum.

While browsing WalMart one day I came across this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Amflo-3-8-Ai ... 10&veh=aff which at the time was $19 but now is on sale for $7.11!

I picked one up and started collecting the other needed materials. A couple of 3/8" brass 90° fittings https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C ... UTF8&psc=1 and some 3/8" fuel hose. I bought 10' not knowing at the time where I would install the can so wanted extra. In my final install I ended up using a 17" piece and a 17.5" piece. Total of 34.5" so just an inch and a half shy of 3'.

I already had a collection of hose clamps and scrounged around my shop for some scrap metal for a bracket. Plus misc hardware which I have plenty of also.

What I found for the bracket was an piece from a garage door opener. Was pretty thick...like about 3/16". I cut it down after doing some measuring and placement checking.

One of the holes was a good diameter, but needed to drill smaller ones for the attachment points. I used my belt sander to round off the ends.

Drilled the new holes:

Then formed it in the vice:

Here was a test fit before painting:

The angle was a bit more than 90° to account for the slant of the alternator bracket surface:

Removed and primed it:

Then a final coat of some black semi gloss:

So here are all the components (except needed 4 hose clamps not just 2)

These are M6x1.0 thread bolts...approx 1" long and used a washer and lock washer on both.

Drilled the top of the air/water separator and put a bolt and nut on it. Used a bit of black RTV to seal. If I did this again...would have followed George's method of drilling smaller and tapping it with the bolt thread.

Elbow's attached and sealed with teflon tape:

For the splicing into the vapor line...I ended up cutting in two places as shown and connecting my 3/8" fuel line to them:

Ran the two pieces of 3/8" fuel hose and tie wrapped them to go through the cover opening:

And tied into the catch can:

Was my first chance to use my new flush cut nippers to cut the ends off the cable ties. Worked perfect. No sharp edges at all.

Final product:

And here is the rubber plug in put on the end of the plastic valve on the air/water separator to keep from leaking vacuum.

Here is a good document shared with me by George from Elite showing the hose you cut and additional info: http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/cont ... _Truck.pdf

Total cost is a bit more since I bought a few things I did not end up using...and some spare hose I also did not need. But was under $25 with the super cheap catch can air/water separator and the two brass 3/8" fittings and fuel line. My extras and having paid more for the catch can ran me just under $64 total. Still not bad.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   187,019 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
Original Poster
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Re: Nealinator's Custom Catch Can Install

Postby nealinator [OP] » Mar 25 2018, 7:56pm

I might add that I am currently using the brass insert that comes with it to separate the oil and water from the air. If I find it to clog up or cause issues...then will go to the filter material as done by George and others.
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
Original Poster
nealinator
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby starspangled6.0 » Mar 25 2018, 8:01pm

Brilliant job, Neal. Let us know how it works long-term.
2007 Yukon
1997 Sierra 6.5 RCLB

*Sold*
97 Sierra 1500
03 Sierra 2500HD
04 Silverado Duramax
07 Silverado Duramax
03 Sierra LQ4 Denali
01 Silverado Duramax
09 Silverado SCRB 2500HD LY6
98 Suburban
2004 CCSB Duramax
starspangled6.0
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 368
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: CCSB Duramax
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Hoagie90 » Mar 25 2018, 8:25pm

Had to view this thread on tapatalk because our work computers won't allow Imgur hosted pictures.

Very nice job Neal! Nice clean install and I also like the alternator location for a mount.
2016 CCSB Z71 Colorado
SOLD 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
Hoagie90
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 65
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2016
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 2016 CCSB Colorado
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby BigBlueLB756 » Mar 25 2018, 8:40pm

Easily shows the difference between an amateur and a garage pro.
Most excellent job.
The [email protected]$$ Modder
2013 GMC Sierra SLT CC Z60 4x4 Mineral Green Metallic-TUNED
[email protected]$$ Catch Can Equipped/Mobil 1 Oil Cap Mod
32 DUMP CLUB MEMBER
"...and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, under God,..."
BigBlueLB756
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 43
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: SLT Z60 4X4 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby tsuintx » Mar 25 2018, 8:45pm

Good job, Neal! Finally... :mrgreen:

I was also thinking about using the alternator bracket fpr my ADD W1 can, but couldn’t find a spot I was happy, so I just mounted it on the fender in front of the fuse box. Will check it again at some point if I can figure out a good spot and redo it. Got plenty of flat aluminum stock left.
2016 Silverado LT 4x4 Crew Cab
2010 Tahoe LT2
2012 BMW K1600GTL Premium
tsuintx
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 4x4 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator [OP] » Mar 25 2018, 8:45pm

Which one am I George? :lol:
Original Poster
nealinator
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby nealinator [OP] » Mar 25 2018, 8:48pm

Yeah...no kidding Tomi! Life is sure slower paced with regards to truck tinkering with two little girls around...that's for sure!

One of the reasons I wanted the can were it is and it's current height...was to be able to get a cup under it and drain off the sludge without having to unscrew the body and remove it. I would not have had much room under there if over by the battery tray...and over near the brake booster was a bit of a reach.
Original Poster
nealinator
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby BigBlueLB756 » Mar 25 2018, 8:49pm

I learned my wrenchin' from Ted Mack.
The [email protected]$$ Modder
2013 GMC Sierra SLT CC Z60 4x4 Mineral Green Metallic-TUNED
[email protected]$$ Catch Can Equipped/Mobil 1 Oil Cap Mod
32 DUMP CLUB MEMBER
"...and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, under God,..."
BigBlueLB756
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 43
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: SLT Z60 4X4 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby tsuintx » Mar 25 2018, 9:10pm

nealinator wrote:Yeah...no kidding Tomi! Life is sure slower paced with regards to truck tinkering with two little girls around...that's for sure!

LOL! Yeah, I remember those days from quite a few years ago. They still feel ike yesterday, though, even though the older one is already getting married in September. :o

nealinator wrote:One of the reasons I wanted the can were it is and it's current height...was to be able to get a cup under it and drain off the sludge without having to unscrew the body and remove it. I would not have had much room under there if over by the battery tray...and over near the brake booster was a bit of a reach.

Yup, yours is a bunch taller than the ADD can is, so that spot is pretty much perfect for it.

I just don’t really like the hoses going from the intake all the way to the fender (makes it look kinda crowded) and therefore I’d like to get it closer to the engine at some point. We’ll see...
Last edited by tsuintx on Mar 25 2018, 9:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Silverado LT 4x4 Crew Cab
2010 Tahoe LT2
2012 BMW K1600GTL Premium
tsuintx
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 4x4 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8