jQuery not supported.

2001 6.0 Vortec LSA Supercharger Project (1999 Sierra)

Installing a LSA Supercharger on an 2001 LQ4 6.0 engine in my 1999 AWD GMC Sierra RCSB Stepside

2001 6.0 Vortec LSA Supercharger Project (1999 Sierra)

Postby 1999SierraC3SC [OP] » Jun 11 2019, 12:10pm

I introduced myself back on March 21, the day I ordered an LSA supercharger kit from Boost District. After many travails and delays and heated phone calls and e-mails, the kit (well, most of it, anyway) finally arrived in mid-May, while I was out of the country.

This past weekend my son (who owns his own independent general service/repair shop) and I started the build....

Some background...

The truck is a 1999 GMC Sierra 1500SLE 5.3L regular cab, short bed, stepside, formerly a 4x4 Z71 model.

I'm the second owner of the truck and have had it since 2015. I bought it with 69,000 miles on it, and it now has 95,000 miles on it.

It is stock except for replacing the engine, the transmission, the transfer case, the front differential, the rear differential, and the PCM with the complete 6.0 AWD drivetrain from a one-owner, wrecked, 31,000 mile 2001 GMC Sierra C3 (Denali predecessor) in late 2017/early 2018.

I also lowered the truck to a stock 2WD ride height, added a rear anti-sway bar and upgraded shocks. It also has a Black Bear Performance 93-octane performance tune, the C3 17-inch wheels, and a few other minor tweaks, but still appears stock:

1999_C3.jpg
AWD Sierra LQ4 lowered

So this thread will hopefully document the final phase of the build. I'm not going for maximum horsepower; and I'm doing some things that some may find incomprehensible. I'm keeping the stock exhaust and - if possible - the stock air-box.

My goal for this project is to have a truck that GM might have built in 1999 if they had had the AWD technology that they put in the C3 Sierra in 2001 (later teh Denali) and the LSA supercharger technology that they introduced in the 2009. I want it to have OEM sound levels and NVH, and not to be identifiable at all as a modified truck to the "general public."

I'll try to put together a coherent timeline, but photos were quick and sketchy as we finally dove into the project. I also have some questions for the more technically savvy members here; while my son is a fantastic mechanic [and did all the swap work installing the LQ4 and AWD drive system in the truck) and I have a lifetime of history of building motorcycles, this is our first foray into forced induction, and the interwebz are filled with contradictory information.

Making room for the supercharger:

intake_manifold_removed.jpg
Intake manifold removed, with inlet port adapters in place

The supercharger in the box:

supercharger_in_box.jpg
LSA supercharger new in box

The supercharger installed:

supercharger_sans_lid_installed.jpg
LSA supercharger installed without lid

And with the ZL-1 lid installed:

supercharger_in_place_with_lid_1.jpg
LSA supercharger with ZL-1 lid
1999 GMC C3. GM didn't make one, so I did. Soon to be supercharged, thus 1999 C3SC.
Original Poster
1999SierraC3SC
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 1999
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500RCSB C3 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 2001 6.0 Vortec LSA Supercharger Project (1999 Sierra)

Postby ferraiolo1 » Jun 11 2019, 12:37pm

This truck is going to turn out so awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 96
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby 1999SierraC3SC [OP] » Jun 11 2019, 5:19pm

We installed a Walbro 450lph fuel pump in the stock fuel pump/float assembly.

fuel_tank_removed.jpg
Fuel Tank on the shop floor.

The new pump:

new_fuel_pump_on_bench.jpg
Lots of instructions!

Disassembling the pump/float assembly:

fuel_pump_disassembly.jpg
Never took one of these apart before.

Reassembled:

fuel_pump_and_float_assembly.jpg
If you are looking for the corrugated flexible fuel line, you can find it on Amazon.com; just search for "corrugated, flexible fuel line." We re-used the old pipe. Not easy, but we managed.

It was instructive watching my son, who basically grew up in the garage at home, working on my motorcycle projects and racebikes with me. He is an amazingly accomplished mechanic, and I learn an incredible amount every time I am fortunate enough to spend time in the shop with him.

Here's what my son looks like:

head-deep_in_fuel_tank.jpg
Justin the headless mechanic/shop owner.

Here's his old man:

dirty__smelly_tired_happy.jpg

Now you know what the old man who is messing around with a 20-year-old GMC Sierra looks like. :lol:
1999 GMC C3. GM didn't make one, so I did. Soon to be supercharged, thus 1999 C3SC.
Original Poster
1999SierraC3SC
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hartski » Jun 11 2019, 6:23pm

very cool build. Why not just put a Holley Blue pump on there for the gas?
in omnia paratus

And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me amoung Thy saints
Hartski
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: All Star Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby orbitingHQ » Jun 11 2019, 7:17pm

Nice setup. I have tried calling boostdistrict, was looking for a setup for my 2500, not totally sold on it, but on the fence.
The lack of comms has me worried...
Does the kit come complete? I'm sure there's some odds and ends I might have to pick up here and there.
Can you post some more pics of the completed engine bay? How did you mount the intercooler?
Thanks

they just called me back...woohoo, might pull the trigger.
orbitingHQ
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2013
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Tatsngats » Jun 11 2019, 7:58pm

Oh man, this looks badass! Can’t wait to hear how it performs when you’re all done.
Tatsngats
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 56
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 1500 CC 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 1999SierraC3SC [OP] » Jun 12 2019, 1:50am

Hartski wrote:very cool build. Why not just put a Holley Blue pump on there for the gas?

Have never heard of the Holley Blue pump. Would it fit in the OEM drop-in tank unit?
Last edited by 1999SierraC3SC on Jun 12 2019, 1:57am, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster
1999SierraC3SC
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 1999SierraC3SC [OP] » Jun 12 2019, 1:56am

orbitingHQ wrote:Nice setup. I have tried calling boostdistrict, was looking for a setup for my 2500, not totally sold on it, but on the fence.
Does the kit come complete? I'm sure there's some odds and ends I might have to pick up here and there.
Can you post some more pics of the completed engine bay? How did you mount the intercooler?
Thanks

My best advice is to be patient. In my experience, Rosh is very slow to respond, and promises a lot of things that he either can't or won't deliver. The kit is semi-complete. I had to buy a PCV oil separation system, the drive belt, an aftermarket heavy-duty tensioner system, the EGR blank-off plug, corrugated flex fuel line, cold air intake system, and throttle body-to-intercooler 3-bolt to 4-bolt adapter plate among other things. I am also working on solving an issue with the fact that my truck has a full length fuel return to the tank, and the LSA fuel rail is a non-return system. That was a rude surprise.

Rosh never seemed to do anything for me until I filed a grievance with my credit card company and they stopped payment to him. That got his attention. When he later promised that everything was ready to ship, I released the hold on the funds, and then another long delay ensued until I told him I was going to do the same thing again. Then he finally shipped my packages.

Tim
Original Poster
1999SierraC3SC
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Tatsngats » Jun 12 2019, 2:29am

How does somebody stay in business like that???
Tatsngats
Topics: 56
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 1500 CC 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby orbitingHQ » Jun 12 2019, 6:10am

1999SierraC3SC wrote:
orbitingHQ wrote:Nice setup. I have tried calling boostdistrict, was looking for a setup for my 2500, not totally sold on it, but on the fence.
Thanks

My best advice is to be patient. In my experience, Rosh is very slow to respond, and promises a lot of things that he either can't or won't deliver. The kit is semi-complete. I had to buy a PCV oil separation system, the drive belt, an aftermarket heavy-duty tensioner system, the EGR blank-off plug, corrugated flex fuel line, cold air intake system, and throttle body-to-intercooler 3-bolt to 4-bolt adapter plate among other things. I am also working on solving an issue with the fact that my truck has a full length fuel return to the tank, and the LSA fuel rail is a non-return system. That was a rude surprise.

Rosh never seemed to do anything for me until I filed a grievance with my credit card company and they stopped payment to him. That got his attention. When he later promised that everything was ready to ship, I released the hold on the funds, and then another long delay ensued until I told him I was going to do the same thing again. Then he finally shipped my packages.

Tim

I don't need that kind of jive....
Thanks for the reply. :)
orbitingHQ
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2013
Group Membership:
Registered users