jQuery not supported.

Slight ticking

Slight ticking

Postby MIKAL [OP] » Dec 31 2018, 2:59am

My father in law gave me this 2500Hd which is my first chevy truck that I will have owned. My father is a mechanic and told me a few things I need to fix before he gave it to me and I just want some confirmation to see if it's right. I also did a bit of research to help. He said I am having a ticking lifter and need to put in a new cam and lifter set. The ticking is very quiet and it goes away after a couple minutes running on a cold start. Also my oil pressure gauge flutters a little around 40 psi when idling. It doesn't drop it just shakes a little at 40 but stays still on acceleration. I read that the ticking and oil pressure fluttering like that could be a spun camshaft bearing but it doesn't sound bad. The fluttering needle for the oil pressure gauge might be the pressure sending unit but is it really worth checking out if it still reading decently?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Original Poster
MIKAL
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Slight ticking

Postby davester3500 » Dec 31 2018, 8:12am

Don't know about the oil pressure, but these engines are known for having piston slap, which sounds a lot like lifter ticking, that goes away when the engine warms up (it varies, some engines don't have it, some do, and it varies how long it lasts after the engine is started). It's totally normal, and is not a sign of a problem with the engine.

Now, you could have a bad lifter, but I would suggest making sure before you tear apart the engine...
davester3500
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 3500SLE 2WD DRW 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Walkers » Dec 31 2018, 4:22pm

You might consider doing a search for oil pump pick up o ring failure and it’s symptoms. I would put a direct reading gauge on it before I got too excited about it.
Walkers
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 49
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MIKAL [OP] » Dec 31 2018, 8:23pm

davester3500 wrote:Don't know about the oil pressure, but these engines are known for having piston slap, which sounds a lot like lifter ticking, that goes away when the engine warms up (it varies, some engines don't have it, some do, and it varies how long it lasts after the engine is started). It's totally normal, and is not a sign of a problem with the engine.

Now, you could have a bad lifter, but I would suggest making sure before you tear apart the engine...
I do want to make sure it is the lifters before I even tear into it. I have done some research but I'm still not sure what procedure to use to figure out if the lifters are going bad. Also, this morning was my first time cold starting it in my slightly colder climate than California and noticed the oil pressure a little under 40 psi and it didnt go up at all until it hit operating temperature. Even when accelerating the pressure stayed at 40 psi without moving. Could it be something with the oil supply?

Original Poster
MIKAL
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Dec 31 2018, 10:12pm

Any chance it could be an exhaust manifold leak? It's not uncommon on those motors and sounds a lot like a lifter tick and can go away after warm-up.
'13 SLE 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60. Bought new
2" level, Michelin 275/60/20 Defender LTX
DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla Touring 32 Dump
Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, OEM Denali grille, Extang, Raptor
Boss Sport Duty, SL1 LED's, Lots of other small mods
19,270 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 EC 6.6 Box 4x4
Group Membership:
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby MIKAL [OP] » Dec 31 2018, 10:34pm

GBSierraSLE wrote:Any chance it could be an exhaust manifold leak? It's not uncommon on those motors and sounds a lot like a lifter tick and can go away after warm-up.
I'm sure it's very possible. I'm going to check later today if I can hear exactly where it is coming from to get better idea if what it is. The truck does have 220000 miles.

Original Poster
MIKAL
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MIKAL [OP] » Dec 31 2018, 11:22pm

Does piston slap go away as the engine warms up? I watched some videos on sound and some people say that piston slap is very apparent on engine load. I don't seem to hear the noise as I drive or accelerate so could I eliminate that as a potential problem?

Original Poster
MIKAL
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Jan 01 2019, 2:02am

My '00 5.3 had the piston slap on cold start. It would last about 45 seconds, hot weather or cold, then go away. I drove that truck 13 years and it never went away, never got worse, and never caused any problems.
'13 SLE 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60. Bought new
2" level, Michelin 275/60/20 Defender LTX
DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla Touring 32 Dump
Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, OEM Denali grille, Extang, Raptor
Boss Sport Duty, SL1 LED's, Lots of other small mods
19,270 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 11
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 EC 6.6 Box 4x4
Group Membership:
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby MIKAL [OP] » Jan 02 2019, 5:40pm

GBSierraSLE wrote:My '00 5.3 had the piston slap on cold start. It would last about 45 seconds, hot weather or cold, then go away. I drove that truck 13 years and it never went away, never got worse, and never caused any problems.
My tick lasts quite a while though. I start it up and the tick actually is pretty loud. It doesn't quiet down till about 5 minutes then it goes away when the truck is at operating temp. I had a couple experiments I wanted to try. My first thought is the o-ring on the pick up tube. I'm thinking if I put my truck on a hill so that oil is covering where that o-ring is, if truck starts with no tick then the o-ring is bad. I don't think its rod knock but I was going to pour a little thicker oil in it to see if the tick goes away. I'm going to get an oil change soon so this is just an experiment. If the tick goes away then I guess its rod knock. Also, i was thinking of just taking the intake off and jiggling the valve train components to see if there is any play in it. If that's the case then it just brings me back to my first thought which is the valve train going bad somewhere.

Original Poster
MIKAL
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby talon118 » Jan 02 2019, 5:55pm

start with the basics, change the oil and use oem oil filter. The check Exhaust mani bolts for missing or snapped bolts check spark plugs torque.
Run a can of seafoam through the intake.
These are the things that i would do first.
2011 GMC Sierra 1500
20x9 xd misfits 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, Recon Smoked Cab lights, 2" RC level kit with 2.5 rear block, Diablo inTune 87 tune, Muffler Delete Dual side, Z71 cluster inlay/white needles
talon118
Topics: 13
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Vortec 6000 6.0L V8