jQuery not supported.

Engine will not stay running

Engine will not stay running

Postby ryankrizan [OP] » May 24 2019, 2:00pm

Hello folks,
I have an 01 3500 with an 8.1L power plant. This truck usually runs like great, however recently I started having an issue with the engine not staying running. The truck sat for a few weeks, and when I went to start it, it started and then died. I didn't think much of it since it had sat a few weeks. But I tried it again, with the same result. It did this 4 or 5 times before it stayed running. I drove it into town, and once I shut the engine down, that was the end of it. I couldn't get it re-started again. It would fire up, and shut right back down. The fuel pump would prime, had good pressure, but the engine would not stay running. Had a 1/3rd tank of gas, had another 5 brought out just in case the gauge was not working, and no different result. Engine would start, then stop. Had to have it towed home. Tried it again right after getting home, and it still wouldn't stay running. Right after the town driver left, not 5 minutes later, I tried it one last time, but this time, it fired up and stayed running.

Normally, I would think fuel pump. But it primes with every key turn like it should. I'm wondering if it's something else. I've heard it may be a PASSLOCK issue?

Anyhow, I figured I would ask here and see if anyone has some insight on where to start looking before I dig into it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original Poster
ryankrizan
Topics: 1
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 3500 8.1L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Engine will not stay running

Postby Marc1970ss8.1 » May 26 2019, 4:13am

What year is it? There are three things that would cause this. Crank position sensor, throttle body, or TAC module for the drive by wire.
2006 3500HD, 8.1, Allison 6 speed, 4.10, 4X4, torklift stable loads, helwig sway bars, Firestone bags, rancho 9000 shocks, vision 19.5 wheels, Michelin XDS2 245/75/19.5, K&N cai, dynomax mufflers, Raylar 201 cam, Raylar roller rockers, 90mm throttle body, modified intake manifold, HP Tuners
Marc1970ss8.1
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 2500HD 8.1 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Marc1970ss8.1 » May 26 2019, 4:14am

Just saw you put 01. If the crank sensor hasn’t been changed I would start with that.
2006 3500HD, 8.1, Allison 6 speed, 4.10, 4X4, torklift stable loads, helwig sway bars, Firestone bags, rancho 9000 shocks, vision 19.5 wheels, Michelin XDS2 245/75/19.5, K&N cai, dynomax mufflers, Raylar 201 cam, Raylar roller rockers, 90mm throttle body, modified intake manifold, HP Tuners
Marc1970ss8.1
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 2500HD 8.1 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BigDaddysCaddys » Jan 03 2020, 5:10am

Well, I'm in suspense here...What happened?
BigDaddysCaddys
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2005
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Dell » Jan 03 2020, 1:42pm

Just solved my stalling issue - mine was occurring while driving at random times, usually when warmed up. It was the crankshaft position sensor. Previous owner said they replaced, but my mechanic found the sensor cracked. I had my mechanic replace it since they can break and be very tough to remove. The crank and cam sensors should be synchronized as well.
Dell
Extra Info: 3500 8.1L 4x4 DRW
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BigDaddysCaddys » Jan 03 2020, 4:12pm

Ok, good info. Exactly how does one synchronize crank and cam position sensors?
BigDaddysCaddys
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Dell » Jan 03 2020, 4:22pm

I believe some scanners have a sync function. I had previously replaced the camshaft position sensor also, but the truck still stalled. I was told by my mechanic the sensors must be synched when replaced.

Some techs use oscilloscopes to look at waves of the sensors. This was all over my head, so I paid the mechanic $350 for the crank sensor replacement and synchronization.
Dell
Extra Info: 3500 8.1L 4x4 DRW
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CritterGitter » Jan 03 2020, 5:38pm

You are said you have good fuel pressure. You can hear it prime. But I would rule out the fuel pump first by replacing the fuel filter and checking the fuel pressure at idle before you start replacing sensors, etc.

Just realized how old this thread is, derp! lol
CritterGitter
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2011
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ryankrizan [OP] » Jan 15 2020, 12:43am

That's alright. I'm actually still working on this truck. It's a passlock issue. I normally can do a 30 minute relearn process and get it to start and run, and after a day or two of driving, I'll have to do it all over again.

So I went through and just today replaced with lock cylinder mount with a new passlock sensor. Trying to do a relearn again, and now I don't have a SECURITY light on that normally comes on. Instead my battery light is on, even though the battery is brand new, less then 30 days old, and fully charged with a battery charger hooked up.

Any suggestions?
Original Poster
ryankrizan
Topics: 1
Extra Info: 3500 8.1L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BigDaddysCaddys » Jan 15 2020, 4:07pm

When doing your testing, Are you always using the same key, or do you alternate between 2 or more keys? That is my first question. Maybe the keys aren't making the Passlock system happy.
Second, I would bypass the Passlock system altogether. https://www.cadillacforums.com/threads/ ... to.181165/
Thirdly, because the symptoms are exactly alike, I would take apart the air intake completely, air hose the air filter, the housing, the boot and use throttle cleaner to completely clean out the throttle body. These are easy and cheap actions to take. I solved my issue with air intake cleaning. You might have both things happening at once, Passlock and throttle body stall due to bad air flow and throttle gunk. And yet they can look like the exact same issue.
Good Luck - keep us posted.
BigDaddysCaddys
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Vortec 8100 8.1L V8