jQuery not supported.

new oil, excessive consumption?

new oil, excessive consumption?

Postby johndeerecharger [OP] » Jan 13 2021, 7:06pm

So after reading a thread on here about oils i decided to trying synthetic oil in my 01 2500HD. Thread said i might see better mileage, less oil consumption as these engines are know for, and greater engine life.

Havent seen better mileage, not really a big deal. However, the oil consumption went the wrong way!! I have had the check engine oil light come on now twice since going to the synthetic and i havent even put 2,000 miles on yet. There are no leaks any where that i can see. I am not happy!!

I was using Mobil Super 5000 oil before. I put Shell Rotella Gas Truck synthetic in now. Any ideas?

Truck has always used a bit more oil than i think it should but never to this degree. Also, found the air intake tube was loose from the throttle body(stupid aftermarket thing that was on it when i bought it and it dont stay tight) Could that have caused an issue, not totally sure how long it has been loose like that.
Original Poster
johndeerecharger
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 58
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: new oil, excessive consumption?

Postby GBSierraSLE » Jan 13 2021, 7:52pm

If the motor was sucking in unfiltered air for a long time, it could accelerate engine wear and eventually cause excessive oil consumption. How many miles are on the motor?
'13 ECSB 4x4 5.3 6sp 3.42 G80 Z60 Z82 Bght new, 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Stone Liner, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED 21,000 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 EC 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Jan 13 2021, 9:05pm

In engines that have used mineral oils, frequent oil filter changes will often correct increased oil consumption. Once engine deposits disappear, oil consumption rates should return to normal or lower than normal rates providing there are no mechanical problems.
Mike

SYNTHOIL SUPPLY

â–ºJOIN AMSOIL

My_Fleet
2021 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L Ultimate
2018 Polaris RZR S 900 EPS
2017 John Deere X738 4x4 Tractor/Snow Blower
Z15
Topics: 247
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2021
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Ultimate 4WD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Scrapyard John » Jan 13 2021, 9:36pm

I believe those engines had the fixed orifice PVC valve on the valve cover. There's a baffle underneath with some breather holes in it. If the holes get clogged, will cause excessive oil to get sucked through PVC system. I have heard this, although I've never had an issue on my lowly 4.8 (same design). Might be worth investigating, though.

On a side note, the only time I've ever had the "oil level low" light come on was in my commuter car, Buick Lesabre. And I had indeed used synthetic (Mobil 1). I switched back to dino. The damn 3.8 in that car will outlast the trans anyway lol.
Scrapyard John
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 4wd work truck
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby johndeerecharger [OP] » Jan 14 2021, 5:32am

GBSierraSLE wrote:If the motor was sucking in unfiltered air for a long time, it could accelerate engine wear and eventually cause excessive oil consumption. How many miles are on the motor?

I figured that was possible but this was extemely fast change.

has 120,xxx miles
Original Poster
johndeerecharger
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby johndeerecharger [OP] » Jan 14 2021, 5:35am

Scrapyard John wrote:I believe those engines had the fixed orifice PVC valve on the valve cover. There's a baffle underneath with some breather holes in it. If the holes get clogged, will cause excessive oil to get sucked through PVC system. I have heard this, although I've never had an issue on my lowly 4.8 (same design). Might be worth investigating, though.

On a side note, the only time I've ever had the "oil level low" light come on was in my commuter car, Buick Lesabre. And I had indeed used synthetic (Mobil 1). I switched back to dino. The damn 3.8 in that car will outlast the trans anyway lol.

How do you fix that/clean the PVC valve?
Original Poster
johndeerecharger
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Vortec 8100 8.1L V8