jQuery not supported.

ANNOUNCEMENT: New Forum Software Coming to the Site

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Forum Software Coming to the Site

Postby shakenfake » Jul 20 2021, 7:17pm

Ugh that is the worst style in my opinion. If we have to change styles change it to LS1Tech or PerformanceTrucks style those are the best
Bandito
LQ4 Swapped 99 ECSB
212/218 low lift cam, 862 heads
shakenfake
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 44
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 1500 ECSB 6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby B52Bombardier1 » Jul 20 2021, 7:29pm

Will this site continue to be usable with Tapatalk??

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
1970 Chevy El Camino 5.3 liter LM7 Engine and 4L60E Transmission
B52Bombardier1
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: In A 70 El Camino
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adriver » Jul 20 2021, 9:13pm

When the site is temporarily read-only, are we talking: minutes, hours, days?
adriver
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: Reg cab 2wd 4.8 5spd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Larry-Cleveland » Jul 20 2021, 9:19pm

This is a very large database. My guess would be a few days. I am sure they have been doing offline testing and will have a much better answer. But it is not a simple flip of a switch.
Larry-Cleveland
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 2500 60L 4X4 Flatbed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby silentbravo » Jul 21 2021, 12:21am

Hard to believe that this will be good in my opinion. One of the biggest reasons I joined this forum to begin with was because it was on good ol phpBB, that has been a forum staple since it's inception basically. Lots of small features and just enough customization that it is a joy to use and post with.

The other major forum I visit occasionally (but joined it in 2007) on has gone through about 3 or 4 software changes and they have all been pretty bad. I've been on other forums that are "up to date" and not impressed with the layouts of most of them. This may be an exceptional upgrade of course, but from what I've seen big forum software updates usually come with a pretty rough "bug fixing" and "break in" period, and old members/top posters go elsewhere or lose interest in a forum that's broken.
silentbravo
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 660catman » Jul 21 2021, 1:41am

Wow! So much negativity on making changes to a forum website. I’ve seen a few changes on others and anyone can deal with a change. If you don’t deal with it, it’s your loss and you’ll go by the wayside. You more than likely dealt with changes to your cell phones anyways when you upgraded. I’ve gone through a few changes with POS computer systems and once we were through the minor hiccups, it went along smoothly.
Approaching change with an open mind will get you through it faster than with a negative mind.

2013 Sierra SLE 2500HD CC 4wd Z71 6.6 Duramax
2013 Silverado 1500 Z71 CC 5.3 4WD 3:42's and all stock
660catman
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 1500 CC 5.3 4WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby @SH » Jul 21 2021, 5:07am

The negativity you speak of is probably more truth than you could imagine. This site was custom built by our founding father... Austin, who in his ultimate wisdom rewrote much of the "canned" code. Someone with only great intelligence could have done the updates and then modified them to fit in with the rewritten/modified code.

Unfortunately and historically, AGs forums are mostly vBulletin... What most of us have tried to stay away from. Also, each time they've tried to correct issues, they've made the site worse or had to completely abandon some popular features... For instance... The chat window. Ask any long time member how popular THAT was!!!

OZ HAS SPOKEN
@SH
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 2wd 4.8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Admin [OP] » Jul 23 2021, 1:21pm

adriver wrote:When the site is temporarily read-only, are we talking: minutes, hours, days?

I don't have an exact answer for you yet, sometimes it is a matter of a few hours, and other times it can be overnight, depending on the size of the DB and any complications they run into.

- Cricket
Original Poster
Admin
Technical Director
Technical Director
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 89
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 1988
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Administrators
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Admin [OP] » Jul 23 2021, 1:23pm

nextstep.jpg

I want to give you an update on the process I use once the site goes live with the new platform.

The night before the site goes live you will see an announcement from me that the site will be going live soon. Once the actual process starts, the site will be in read-only mode while the team does the migration from the old platform to the new one.

Once it goes live you will see an announcement thread created here in this section. All questions and feedback about the new platform should be posted ONLY in that thread.

• You will see me reply to the thread introducing myself.
  • I will add a new signature and avatar to the admin account.
What should you be doing now before this happens?

• Make sure your email address is up to date in your account.
  • If you don't remember your password, now would be a good time to reset it. Save the information.
  • The link that displays all your attachments in your user control panel will not be available, but all attachments will still be in your posts. It might be worth taking the time to save images that are important to you.
When Will This All Happen?

silveradosierra.com is currently scheduled for September 8, 2021. HOWEVER, the schedule is very fluid, so that could change depending on any complications or schedule changes. I am simply giving you a heads up.

As your dedicated support, during the transition, I will be here with you multiple times a day, answering questions and listening to feedback.

My only request is that you remain patient with me while we work through the changes. :)

- Cricket
Original Poster
Admin
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Group Membership:
Administrators
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Admin [OP] » Jul 23 2021, 6:21pm

B52Bombardier1 wrote:Will this site continue to be usable with Tapatalk??

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes the site will still be accessible through Tapatalk

Kevin
Original Poster
Admin
Technical Director
Technical Director
Group Membership:
Administrators
Global moderators
Registered users
Previous

Return to Website Concerns