jQuery not supported.

Editing posts

How to edit posts?

Editing posts

Postby Trumpster1 [OP] » Jun 22 2010, 1:59pm

How do you edit a post that you've already created but need to modify? I am working on the CAI into How To and I can't get back onto the thread and update the post. If this is not an option, I think that we should make it an option.
Thanks

Traded my baby for a fuel efficient vehicle, I couldn't see using her as a road rage machine anymore. I WILL be back in the game at some point.

Contact me at: [email protected]
Original Poster
Trumpster1
Technical Director
Technical Director
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 175
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 6.2L Crew Std Bed
Group Membership:
Administrators
Global moderators
Registered users

Re: Editing posts

Postby koolz71 » Jun 22 2010, 2:40pm

you should see the edit button at the top of your post, if you dont u may not be logged in. I have attached a picture to show you, i hope this helps and good luck with the HOWTO
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
koolz71
Topics: 95
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Trumpster1 [OP] » Jun 22 2010, 3:15pm

Ok, in every other forum where I posted, the "Edit" button appears EXCEPT the How To forum. Maybe we aren't supposed to modify anything there??????

Traded my baby for a fuel efficient vehicle, I couldn't see using her as a road rage machine anymore. I WILL be back in the game at some point.

Original Poster
Trumpster1
Technical Director
Technical Director
Group Membership:
Administrators
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby koolz71 » Jun 22 2010, 3:28pm

thats very possible im not sure what kind of permissions austin has set up in that forum
koolz71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Trumpster1 [OP] » Jun 22 2010, 6:17pm

Ok - {yelling} AUSTIN.........................change the permissions so that I can edit my screwed up post in the How To forum!!! Thanks

Original Poster
Trumpster1
Technical Director
Technical Director
Group Membership:
Administrators
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Austin » Jun 22 2010, 7:21pm

Trumpster1 wrote:How do you edit a post that you've already created but need to modify?

The editing time window is currently set at 1 hour.
Trumpster1 wrote:If this is not an option, I think that we should make it an option.

Let me give you a little background on why editing a post at any time is not possible. I hesitate to change the editing time to "unlimited" because like we've experienced on another one of my sites, this ability can be abused in numerous ways. If ever a member becomes disgruntled they could edit/delete every one of their posts leaving holes in many topics or even change what they wrote later down the road to cause even more havoc.

Editing posts indefinitely leaves us wide open for malicious activity if accounts are ever compromised or a member gets upset and wants to do some destruction. I think with this setting it is going to be hard to please everyone. 1 hour is probably enough time to edit your post and get it the way you want it, but at the same time if someone puts up a good argument, 24 hours is probably okay too. Someone can become disgruntled and go back and delete their last 24 hours of posts and it wouldn't hurt us too bad.

I'm sorry if this inconveniences some people but it is the only way we can prevent members from going back and destroying every topic they've posted in. :)

Solutions
  • If you find something that you wrote that you don't like, changed your mind, learned something new, etc., you can always quote the previous post and make the appropriate correction.
  • Get it right the first time. Use the Preview button as many times as needed to get your posts just the way you want them before submitting.
  • Become a moderator and you can edit or delete posts any time. Moderators are exempt from the editing time window.
  • Request your post be edited by a Moderator. If at any time you'd like to send me the revised first post to the How-to post you wrote, I'll edit it for you.
Founder and creator of SilveradoSierra.com
chevy astro vans, chevy truck forums
<?=while ( try() != $success ){ again(); echo "learn and earn"; }?>
Austin
Technical Director
Technical Director
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 39
Years of membership: 11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4 SLE
Group Membership:
Supporters
Administrators
Registered users

Postby Trumpster1 [OP] » Jun 22 2010, 7:55pm

Austin - Excellent information, thank you, I completely understand and respect the reasoning. I started working on the post on Friday evening (I think) and was hoping to finish it at a later time since I was tired and my wife was getting antsy (being nice here). I ended up going out of town for the weekend and completely lost track of time to work on making a really nice write-up, even though it's nothing 'really' special.
What does it take to become a moderator? I am on this forum pretty much 5 days a week (M-F 9 am to 5 pm). Unfortunately there is not much activity, which we need to figure out how to change, but I like to do things throughout the day and update/respond to any posts as soon as I possibly could (if I knew what I was talking about).
I'll have to figure out what to do about the CAI How-to. If nothing else, if you could just delete the whole thing, I will start over, that would probably work.
Thanks

Original Poster
Trumpster1
Technical Director
Technical Director
Group Membership:
Administrators
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Agent Fawk » Jun 23 2010, 6:40am

Great picture Nathan. I think your circling could use some help though.
Agent Fawk
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 12
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby koolz71 » Jun 23 2010, 2:28pm

lol thanx glen...i know enough to be dangerous lol
koolz71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Trumpster1 [OP] » Jun 23 2010, 2:44pm

Agent Fawk wrote:Great picture Nathan. I think your circling could use some help though.

Ok, so there are multiple Nathan's on this forum now, we need to be specific. I was asking myself, "what did I circle?", then I realized it was the 'other' Nathan's post, haha.

Original Poster
Trumpster1
Technical Director
Technical Director
Group Membership:
Administrators
Global moderators
Registered users
Next

Return to Website Concerns