jQuery not supported.

Montana Camping

Best spots in this big a** State?

Re: Montana Camping

Postby OilFracker » Mar 24 2016, 2:27pm

Glendive Montana's "Short Pine OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) Area" is an amazing place to visit. Folk travel from hundreds of miles away to ride their dirt bikes and four wheelers here. It's several hundred acres of trails too narrow for 4x4 pickups and Jeeps, etc. This entire place is designated for just driving around on and is entirely open to the public. Just show up! There are several brand new hotels nearby (Holiday Inn, Astoria, Oak Tree Inn, etc) if you need a break away from the camper, if the weather goes to crap and to put the wife while you are out having fun!

You can camp here...but there is no electricity or other amenities which are about ten miles away. Plenty of parking is available.

Watch "short pine ohv in glendive mt rzr xp4 pt3" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/RffN8xeQm_4
Attachments
1458826026584.jpg
1458826026584.jpg (74.16 KiB) Viewed 270 times
14' 1500 Sierra SLE 5.3L Z71
OilFracker
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 SLE 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby OilFracker » Mar 24 2016, 3:23pm

Hell Creek near the Fort Peck Reservior is a great place to park a camper. You can rent a boat and fish until you get sea sick. Reserve your spot in advance.

http://hellcreekmarina.net
Attachments
1458829353263.jpg
14' 1500 Sierra SLE 5.3L Z71
OilFracker
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 1500 SLE 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby runsdeep » Mar 24 2016, 3:37pm

When we head out to camp we check rvpark reviews.com, they have reviews from others that have stayed in the area you want to visit, just put in the state & search the area you want to visit. Are you a Good Sam member? you can pick up a book at your nearest Camping World for a few bucks showing all the state & private campgrounds & ratings. With a Good Sam membership you will get a discount on your stay & a deal on camper insurance if you want. Happy camping!
2015 2500 double cab HD LTZ- Z/71 Silverado 6.0 in tungsten metallic with max tow pkg.
runsdeep
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: HD 2500 Z71 DB Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby planecycle » May 25 2017, 3:42am

I'm only a year and some late to the talk, but since I bought my Sierra to upgrade my camping game and I'm in Montana I thought I'd pitch in.

1) Glacier NP. I camped Kintla lake (way up on the NW corner) and it was awesome. I drug a trailer in with me which is a very discouraged thing to do. It was tight, but it worked. Also there is a USFS campground just outside the SW corner of the park towards Columbia Falls that was nice.

In the Bozeman area:
Greycliff on the lower Madison river. Beatiful and large spots, flat, FWP maintained and right off the Madison river. If you flyfish you will want to try this river out. There are a bunch of campsites from Greycliff south for about 10 miles. Phone reception fades the further south you go. The wind can be something special along this stretch.

Headwaters State Park in Three Forks. The confluence of the Gallatin, Madison, and Jefferson rivers which is the headwaters of the Missouri river. Beautiful place, FWP maintained campground, lots of Lewis & Clark history available via paved bike pathway from the campground.

South towards Big Sky there are many campgrounds littered all along the Gallatin river. We camped last year on Mother's day weekend at Greek Creek and it was beautiful. The Monday afterward I drove by for work and it was covered in 3 inches of snow. We camped there again for 4th of July weekend and had a great time with about 10 people on site.

Hyalite reservoir is very popular. We've tried several attempts to get a spot but we've never succeeded.

Down by Ennis, MT:
The lake has a fantastic county campground, no fees, no running water. Huge spots, and its on Ennis Lake! The pelican flocks flying around were something to see/hear.

If you haven't found it yet maybe check out allstays.com - I just signed up for it this season and its very very thorough. You can find any campground from any agency by location. I'm just getting started using it but I've got a summer planned already!

Happy Camping and Cheers!
planecycle
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2500 SLE2 6.0L 4WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Sturgeonhunter » Sep 08 2019, 9:56pm

Fort peck lake area is nice. i usually stay at the downstream campground. its worth a look
Sturgeonhunter
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 4.8
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to West