jQuery not supported.

Corrosion/Chrome lifting on OEM wheel bead

Causing slow leak

Re: Corrosion/Chrome lifting on OEM wheel bead

Postby RivGuy » Nov 07 2019, 9:45pm

I had the same problems on the wheels from a different vehicle. I asked my local mechanic to remove the tires and with a die grinder and wire wheel he proceeded to remove all plating and corrosion from the bead surface.
Actually after he finished using up 2 small wire wheels on a 90* die grinder, he then put scotch brite pads on the die grinder and polished the rim beads as well as scuffing the rubber tire bead a little.
He then used some thick black bead sealer that he had and applied it to the rims and a thin bit on the tires and reinstalled the rubber to the wheels and inflated them as fast as he could to be sure they would seal properly.
We let the wheel/tires set overnight before reinstalling on the car. Once installed they never lost any air pressure other than maybe 1 psi over a 12 month period. I checked them 3 or 4 times a year and had no problem.
He charged me $20.00 per wheel/tire for cleaning the beads, applying the sealer and balancing when done.
Obviously this was a very good deal, but I happened to catch him right before Christmas time when his business is the slowest time of the year and he knows I'm disabled and money doesn't fall off tree's for me. I eagerly gave him a $100.00 bill.
Anyway, that was my experience to save a nice set of wheels that were leaking like yours and had corrosion like yours.
The other thing that can be done is have your local shop remove the tires from your wheels and you can take the home to your garage and sand and polish the rim beads and bring them back to them for a coat of sealant, reinstall tires to wheels and balance them, then install on the truck making sure they are torqued properly using a torque wrench, not hammered on the hub with an air gun.
RivGuy
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 8
Year: 2005
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L HO Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancher [OP] » Nov 07 2019, 10:33pm

Appreciate the advice, Rick....And bead sealant is all fine and good, so to speak, (As that is what they did on 1 wheel,) but that is counter to the "design intent" of installing these tires.....and not something I'm willing to "live with." Not only that, but the DT manager said to only expect the bead sealant to last about 6 months, especially with extreme temperature changes.

I'm also too old to sit in my garage and polish rim beads. I have better things to do.

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

82,500 as of 11/1/19

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker

Diablew Tune

Security by Rock Island Armory
Original Poster
roorancher
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 59
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby judsonlimited » Nov 07 2019, 10:41pm

I'll do it for a fee

"CritterGitter: I'm just baffled at the amount of dumb worthless douchebaggery I see being done to these good trucks"

JEFFREY EPSTEIN DIDN'T KILL HIMSELF
judsonlimited
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 139
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2019
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley » Nov 07 2019, 11:37pm

judsonlimited wrote:I'll do it for a fee

Would you be willing to polish something else?

BFG KO2 265/70/17 * Motofab level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature * 35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X * DD SL1 headlights
Retarded driver
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby roorancher [OP] » Nov 07 2019, 11:41pm

judsonlimited wrote:I'll do it for a fee

Does your GF know you're willing to pimp yourself out that easily, Monte? LOL!!!

82,500 as of 11/1/19

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker

Diablew Tune

Original Poster
roorancher
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley » Nov 07 2019, 11:52pm

He needs the extra cash to make that D***e look presentable. ;)

BFG KO2 265/70/17 * Motofab level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature * 35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X * DD SL1 headlights
Retarded driver
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 25
Extra Info: SLE 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby roorancher [OP] » Nov 08 2019, 1:18am

Found these 20s this afternoon for $600. I'm tempted....but maybe a little too "busy?"
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-11-07-18-16-17.png

82,500 as of 11/1/19

Diablew Tune

Original Poster
roorancher
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby RivGuy » Nov 08 2019, 1:23am

roorancher wrote:Appreciate the advice, Rick....And bead sealant is all fine and good, so to speak, (As that is what they did on 1 wheel,) but that is counter to the "design intent" of installing these tires.....and not something I'm willing to "live with." Not only that, but the DT manager said to only expect the bead sealant to last about 6 months, especially with extreme temperature changes.
I'm also too old to sit in my garage and polish rim beads. I have better things to do.

I didn't suggest for you to do the work for no reason. I don't know you and don't know your financial situation. So, I only meant to suggest that if necessary you might be able to talk your local shop into letting you bring the wheels back to your home shop so you could save money. I guess I'm too used to guys that bring their Harleys to my home shop with a proper motorcycle lift and an Auto lift. As expensive as the bikes cost they are always crying poor mouth to me, so I let them use my lift and tools for a fee and I provide technical info as they need it.
I'm sorry. I guess I tend to assume everyone has a shop with the correct tools at home in your garage. I know this is wrong.
But my intent in sharing my experience was to let you know that we were able to save the wheels and my OL still continues to drive that car daily and it's been about 4 years after the wheel work was done and the beads were sealed with that black sealant.
As I said I never need to put much, if any, air in the tires. I have my own compressor and many, many other tools in my garage that I am no longer able to use due to a disability.
When I do check the pressure on all four tires I'm checking them with the same calibrated pressure gauge and am able to adjust pressures as needed due to seasonal changes.
BTW, It's an All Wheel drive Volvo that the OL uses daily but doesn't get driven far on a daily basis. So annual mileage is only about 7500 miles/year.

I'm curious. What is a DT manager.? I'm sure after you say it I'll be embarrassed because it will be so obvious. But I can't think clearly or find that abbreviation in my vocabulary at the moment.
Regards,
Rick
RivGuy
Topics: 8
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 5.3L HO Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancher [OP] » Nov 08 2019, 2:21am

No Rick, you're fine...don't take things the wrong way or read too much into what I said...I appreciate your suggestions and ways to save money. I have a fully equipped shop...2 in fact, and probably $40K or more worth of tools, as I was once a corporate jet mechanic and have been a "gear head" since the 70s. "Dressing" wheels is just not something I want to spend doing, especially with the logistics involved and the down time.

And DT manager.....Discount Tire.

82,500 as of 11/1/19

Diablew Tune

Original Poster
roorancher
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tomintx » Nov 08 2019, 5:16am

I had this problem on my 2006 GMC 2500 LBZ. I replaced the wheels with new alloy wheels and had them installed when I got new tires. Then the truck got totalled with my nice new tires and wheels, so now I have a different truck.
tomintx
Year: 2019
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: HD 3500 SRW L5P
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Wheels/Tires