jQuery not supported.

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W vs Toyo Open Country A/T III

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W vs Toyo Open Country A/T III

Postby roosclan [OP] » Nov 20 2020, 9:25pm

Sooo... I just noticed that I can get Toyo Open Country A/T 3 tires for just $3/tire more than Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires in 265/70r17 at Walmart.

Most of my driving is commuting to work, so road noise and tread life on regular roads is important, but not the #1 concern. I need something that will work great on the road in wet conditions going around curves, but my main concern with the tires is snow since I work at a hospital and absolutely must get to the hospital in bad weather when we are called in for emergencies. People don't stop having heart attacks just because there are 8" of snow falling that the plows haven't removed from the side roads yet. I live in an old part of town, so we are the last on the list to get the streets cleared.

How do these OC A/T3 compare to the Wildpeaks?
Original Poster
roosclan
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 20
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Falken Wildpeak A/T3W vs Toyo Open Country A/T III

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Nov 20 2020, 9:31pm

I'd get the toyos any day if the week. I haven't ran my AT3s un the snow since they are on my nice wheels. But if they are as good as the AT2s, they will do great. Plus the new AT3 carries the mountain peak designation, where as the AT2 did not.

My father has the falkens and they are good tires as well, but he is looking to replace them with toyos here soon. Once they got some miles on them, he said the wet traction got marginal and snow wasn't too great anymore either. When new they were great.

They wear pretty decent as well.

But my favorite tire is the toyo AT line. I'm on my 4th set and they have always been excellent tires for me. Way better than the BFGs im running now, which I am starting to not like so much.
19trax9519trax95 is online!
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 136
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Nov 20 2020, 9:35pm

I have both. Toyos on one set of wheels. Falkens on the other.

Falkens used to be super cheap. But if they cost as much as toyos now. Get the toyos.

Unless you want the winter rating of the falkens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby 4wheelin » Nov 20 2020, 9:42pm

The road noise isn't bad on the Toyo A/T3 unless your running 75-80 mph, then they are a little noisy. But then again, so is my exhaust... :)
4wheelin
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 1500 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roosclan [OP] » Nov 21 2020, 6:46pm

ferraiolo1 wrote:I have both. Toyos on one set of wheels. Falkens on the other.

Falkens used to be super cheap. But if they cost as much as toyos now. Get the toyos.

Unless you want the winter rating of the falkens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I'm seeing, it's more the price of the Toyo tires are down. These are not the LT tires, so the cost isn't up there. And the A/T 3 tires have the same winter rating as the Falkens. I wasn't considering the OC a/t2 tires because of that, but with the a/t3 tires having the same rating and being basically the same price, I thought it was worth looking at.
Original Poster
roosclan
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bulldogg220 » Nov 21 2020, 6:55pm

I’ve had Falken WildPeak AT3’s for about 3-4 years now I’m on my 2nd set and they haven’t let me down, nice aggressive looking tread, perform great in the snow, mud, rainy conditions, decently quiet and overall I have no discrepancies with them!
Rebuilt 4L60E with Vette servo, K&N Cold Air Intake, UPR Catch Can, All AMSOIL Fluids, All LED Exterior Bulbs, Detroit Tru-Trac
Its all about twisted steel and sex appeal
Bulldogg220
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Year: 2008
Variant: WT
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 4.8L
Group Membership:
First Responders
Registered users

Postby Bulldogg220 » Nov 21 2020, 6:58pm

19trax95 wrote:I'd get the toyos any day if the week. I haven't ran my AT3s un the snow since they are on my nice wheels. But if they are as good as the AT2s, they will do great. Plus the new AT3 carries the mountain peak designation, where as the AT2 did not.

My father has the falkens and they are good tires as well, but he is looking to replace them with toyos here soon. Once they got some miles on them, he said the wet traction got marginal and snow wasn't too great anymore either. When new they were great.

They wear pretty decent as well.

But my favorite tire is the toyo AT line. I'm on my 4th set and they have always been excellent tires for me. Way better than the BFGs im running now, which I am starting to not like so much.
I can second that! Once you get just below about halfway through the wet traction does get screwy but other then that as long as they’re rotated and kept in good standing they last pretty well!
Rebuilt 4L60E with Vette servo, K&N Cold Air Intake, UPR Catch Can, All AMSOIL Fluids, All LED Exterior Bulbs, Detroit Tru-Trac
Its all about twisted steel and sex appeal
Bulldogg220
Year: 2008
Variant: WT
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 4.8L
Group Membership:
First Responders
Registered users