jQuery not supported.

GMC OEM Replacement Chrome Rims

Searching for new rims

GMC OEM Replacement Chrome Rims

Postby jdlyons [OP] » Oct 17 2020, 3:47pm

I purchased a very nice single cab, full-size box, 2WD, 2001 GMC Sierra SL, a few years ago, and am slowing replacing what it needs, in order of priority, rear wheel arches, new rear bumper, fresh undercoating, mud 'guards' to real mudflaps, etc. Next on my list are the wheel rims. It came with the original 16" 6-bolt, 5-spoke, 2-piece, 'stainless steel plate bonded to the face of the steel' rims. As with all of them, the stainless steel plates are warped, to the point where the center caps won't fasten on anymore, and the steel rims in behind, are terribly corroded. I am looking to preferably replace them with 1-piece OEM chrome 5-spoke rims (OE Part #9595394/STL5129?). After a lengthy time of searching local wreckers, and online, I have not been able to locate any. My only other option is to buy a set of the more common 1-piece painted steel rims and then pay to have them chromed (not cheap!), as a last resort. Once I get new rims, then I can buy a new set of tires, that are badly needed. Just curious as to why I'm having so much trouble locating a set of these rims. Any thoughts, suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks! BTW, I'm in Southern Ontario, Canada.
Original Poster
jdlyons
Topics: 1
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: single cab full size
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: GMC OEM Replacement Chrome Rims

Postby 19trax95 » Oct 17 2020, 6:47pm

I'd get a set of the aluminum wheels. They look way better, be the same price or cheaper, and are available used or new all over the place.

But going off your part number for those steel ones, they are readily available from basically every GM parts site, as well as ebay and various reproduction sites.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 136
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby jdlyons [OP] » Oct 17 2020, 10:34pm

With a little more internet searching, I've found out that 'chrome-clad steel' is just industry code for the 2-piece rims, exactly what I'm looking to get rid of.
Original Poster
jdlyons
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Oct 17 2020, 11:00pm

Yeah and they also make chrome clad aluminum wheels as well.

Gm doesn't make a steel wheel that is chrome, that isn't chrome clad. The only steel wheels they make that aren't clad, are the regular old painted ones.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 136
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby jdlyons [OP] » Oct 19 2020, 10:37pm

Rather than waste any more time looking, I found a set of 'like new' silver-painted steel rims, online, for a very good price, so yesterday, I went and inspected them, liked them very much, purchased them and then brought them home. Now, to select a set of new tires, to put on them!
Original Poster
jdlyons
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Wheels/Tires