jQuery not supported.

Lug Nut Locks

Well they got my wheels

Lug Nut Locks

Postby rwrogers11 [OP] » Mar 25 2020, 3:41pm

Well they got my wheels, and on my Bday as well, what a great way to start the weekend. Self Quarantined in the house, office close, bars closed, restaurants closed, wake up and my wheels are gone, and then to top it all off, Kenny Rogers dies, all on my Bday.

What's the best locking Lug Nuts? I'm looking at the Gorilla one. I know they can get them off too, but instead of putting one per wheel, I'm looking to replace all Lug Nuts with these.

I'm also looking to upgrade my alarm system to something that will alert me when the truck is jacked up or bounced, bumped, etc.

Anyways, whats your thoughts on Locking Lug Nuts, and on replacing all lug nuts with the Locking ones?

Thanks,
Richard
Attachments
20200320_015305.jpg
20200320_015159.jpg
Original Poster
rwrogers11
Topics: 1
Year: 2020
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Lug Nut Locks

Postby nealinator » Mar 25 2020, 3:56pm

Dang! That stinks. Sorry Richard. And in my area too.

I had the gorilla ones a while back. They ended up getting a bit rusty over time...as did their lug nuts I used. I would just stick with insurance coverage. Maybe have motion lights out on the driveway. These criminals are bold and will do this stuff in broad daylight though.

Oh...and welcome to the forum...on a terrible note.... :(
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   180,179 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - 305/50R20 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 161
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby ricka182 » Mar 25 2020, 3:58pm

Welcome, Rich...and man, sorry for such a horrible birthday. You really got the total screw job..

IMO, if a thief can get one Gorilla lug off, they can get all of them off. If that delayed them at all, that would help...but if they just need a special lug-key, those are found online anywhere. They are nothing more than deterrent to some crooks...if a crook really wanted your wheels, and saw you had them, but he didn't have the key, he could find one and return.

I would definitely get an alarm with tilt sensor, but one thing on those, is they usually are more for hood open sensors, or high tow angle... the wheel doesn't need to come up much to get removed, just barely enough to take weight off.

But there may be more tilt based on different angles, or maybe mount it slightly offset on the sensor, so any motion.

Perimeter alarms also work, but if you park in a lot, you may not want that because someone getting into their own car would trigger your alarm possibly...
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 175
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Servicemen
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby rwrogers11 [OP] » Mar 25 2020, 3:59pm

We have a cam up, but it was dark, they were wearing hoodies, couldn't get any detail that would help. We plan on adding additional cams and motion lights. But I think the best will be upgrading the alarm system.
Original Poster
rwrogers11
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ricka182 » Mar 25 2020, 5:15pm

Definitely more cams, and some sort of silent motion alert would be nice as well...so you know they are there and call the cops before they get away...just a light won't do much aside from maybe scare them off...for a little while.. Alarms are your best bet.
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 175
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Servicemen
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Spartan » Mar 25 2020, 5:18pm

to the OP. To understand a method that thieves might us to remove lugnuts (regular or locking) check out the universal lug nut remover kits. Then check out locking lug nuts that have a spinning top. I don't know if the spinning top helps any, but it might be worth a try.
Spartan
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 14
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2014
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Mar 25 2020, 5:22pm

I used this site when looking for our new area to live. I did not like the area somewhat south of where you are where I used to live. This is a sex offender registery but where there is a large concentration of these people...there is also usually lots of crime too. Find an area with the least and you will be better off. I now live in an area where I feel much more safe and where my family is more safe also.

https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/SexOf ... y/map/load
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby rwrogers11 [OP] » Mar 25 2020, 6:41pm

Spartan wrote:to the OP. To understand a method that thieves might us to remove lugnuts (regular or locking) check out the universal lug nut remover kits. Then check out locking lug nuts that have a spinning top. I don't know if the spinning top helps any, but it might be worth a try.

Yeah I've watched quite a few of those now, and these locking lugs with the spinning sleeves are what I'm looking at. I know they can still get them off, but if I replace all lug nuts with them, it will at least slow them down or make them pass to a better accessible vehicle. In the meantime, motion detection lights, more cams, and upgraded alarm I think will help as well. I know the only what to make it better is to park in my garage, problem is, the truck is about 4" too long for my garage and I'd have to empty my garage first.
Original Poster
rwrogers11
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Mar 25 2020, 7:09pm

I just noticed in your first picture is another silverado. You have two new ones??
nealinator
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Mar 25 2020, 8:44pm

I have the Gorilla Lug Locks from the factory...All they will do, to quote a phrase often used, is keep honest people honest.....

I can remove them without the tool, either with a piece of galvanized pipe and a pipe wrench, or some 12 point disposable sockets slightly smaller than the lock, a small sledge, and a breaker bar. Probably have all 4 off in less than 5 minutes.

If thieves want them, they're going to get them. I have 8 motion detection high resolution cameras all around my property. 3 of the cameras cover my driveways. If I get "significant motion," (not small critters,) I get an alert to my phone.

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

91300 miles 3/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs pending

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Topics: 85
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next