jQuery not supported.

Service Tire Pressure System

Service Tire Pressure System

Postby mistersid [OP] » Jul 18 2020, 6:00am

I recently replace the fuel pump on my 07 Silverado. When I got the truck off the stands and started it I got 1 TPMS error for the driver rear. It was readying 1lbs. I went and Re learned the tire positions everything was fine. The next time I started the truck all 4 TPMS were blanked out w/ -- displaying.

I have disconnected the battery for 12+ hours - No luck
I have tried re learning the tire position - No luck

I'll have the batteries test in the morning but I find it hard to belived all 4 failed at the same time.

Side Note : 2 of them have been replace in less than a year.

Does anyone have ANY idea at what I am looking at or where I should start ?

Thanks
Original Poster
mistersid
Topics: 1
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Service Tire Pressure System

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Jul 22 2020, 10:14am

I hate TPMS they just suck, they are not accurate and distract you from driving. Should be simple enough check tire pressure one a month walk around the vehicle once in a while to make sure your tires are still there and not flat and your good to go. why they have to keep adding this crap to vehicles causing the prices to skyrocket is beyond me.

How can you fix something that is not accurate is beyond me. I would love a way to tune this system out of my vehicles.
I wish I could help you but I always have a hard enough time just getting them relearned once I do a rotation.

My Wife's 2010 HHR she used to have we bought new before we took it home on day one I noticed curb rash on one of the wheels I refused to take the vehicle like that so they swapped out another new tire and wheel off of another new HHR. That damn wheel and Tire pressure sensor gave us a fit the entire time we owned that car.
That sensor would some times not show up or show way off compared actual tire pressure. even replacing the sensor with a new one it was still an issue.
In the back of my head it was like when you have a problem with one all four need to be replaced at the same time and even then I wouldn't know if that would fix it.
Some how I think the computer registers each sensor with some sort of serial number and when you add or replace a sensor it must not erase the replaced sensor just like a regular computer if you replace the video card over the years with 20 different cards you will still see them if you boot the computer in safe mode but not in standard mode and I do not think think the cars computer is smart enough or reliable enough to not try and use the deleted sensors when other electrical items get serviced it must cause some sort of reset that makes the computer try and communicate with old parts that are not there.

This is just a guess , I think what you need is a way to see a list of installed sensors and a way of deleting them all from the computer then relearning the computer. perhaps this can be accomplished with a dealer updated flash.

When I get time I will try and find any related TSBs to see if I can find anything useful
EaOutlaw1969
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley » Jul 22 2020, 10:36am

Not sure what your problem is mistersid.

The TPMS is very accurate on my truck. It is always right on with my accutire pressure gauge.
Relearning the TPMS is very easy with a cheap tool from Amazon like the one I bought https://www.amazon.com/VXDAS-EL-50448-P ... 664&sr=8-4

Vision Manic wheels * BFG KO2 265/70/17E * Motofab level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature
35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X * DD SL1 headlights * E2 catch can * GMC floor liners
Retarded driver
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Extra Info: SLE 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Jul 22 2020, 10:51am

One thing I will mention that I did learn when trying to mess around with my Wife's old HHR is interference from other electronic devices can screw up the wireless system on TPMS and other wireless systems on today's modern vehicles.
You said this started with a fuel pump replacement, What pump did you use? it is not too much to think a cheap off brand fuel pump could radiate transient electrical emissions that could possibly interfere with low power wireless signals used for the TPMS.

Keep in mind I know very little about modern vehicles I am just spit balling here trying to help while giving your thread a bump.
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Jul 22 2020, 11:03am

[youtube][/youtube]
SierraHarley wrote:Not sure what your problem is mistersid.

The TPMS is very accurate on my truck. It is always right on with my accutire pressure gauge.
Relearning the TPMS is very easy with a cheap tool from Amazon like the one I bought https://www.amazon.com/VXDAS-EL-50448-P ... 664&sr=8-4

You must have gotten lucky I used a Milton shop grade dual head inflator gauge https://www.miltonindustries.com/gauges ... ator-gauge and every vehicle TPMS shows different even each wheel shows different from each other most of the time.
Yet I can double check the tire pressure with a secondary Milton inflator gauge a retired one I haven't been able to toss out and I get the same exact readings.
We use our systems to know if a tire is going flat while driving but other than that I have no use for them.
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Jul 22 2020, 12:58pm

SierraHarley wrote:Not sure what your problem is mistersid.

I'm with Terry. Very accurate in my truck, and easy to reprogram with a cheap tool; or I just let Discount Tire do it when they rotate and balance my tires.

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

102,900 miles 8/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Topics: 92
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Jul 22 2020, 1:37pm

mistersid wrote:I recently replace the fuel pump on my 07 Silverado. When I got the truck off the stands and started it I got 1 TPMS error for the driver rear. It was readying 1lbs. I went and Re learned the tire positions everything was fine. The next time I started the truck all 4 TPMS were blanked out w/ -- displaying.

I'll have the batteries test in the morning but I find it hard to belived all 4 failed at the same time.

Thanks

Could be an issue with the receiver. Is this a 2007+ or the older body style? Do you have remote start and of so, does it work?

Where is the Remote start and tire receiver located (RCDLR)
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   186,861 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby mistersid [OP] » Jul 31 2020, 3:54am

nealinator wrote:
mistersid wrote:I recently replace the fuel pump on my 07 Silverado. When I got the truck off the stands and started it I got 1 TPMS error for the driver rear. It was readying 1lbs. I went and Re learned the tire positions everything was fine. The next time I started the truck all 4 TPMS were blanked out w/ -- displaying.

Thanks

Could be an issue with the receiver. Is this a 2007+ or the older body style? Do you have remote start and of so, does it work?

Where is the Remote start and tire receiver located (RCDLR)

its the new body style. I do have the remote start and it works. I had the sensor battery checked and 2 were dead 2 were not. Although the dash still reads -- on all 4.

TPMS worked for about a week after I replaced the pump. The thought did cross my mind, if it is I'll just black the LED out lol Im not dropping that tank again. (it was a northern truck before I go it) If it can rust ... it has
Original Poster
mistersid
Topics: 1
Year: 2007
Variant: LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Jul 31 2020, 9:17am

So has the story changed? Your first post indicated a issue once you took the truck off the stands then the whole system went out once you started the truck again. Which is it? Your answer can change what I or we think may be the cause.
With two batteries dead that is indication enough that you need to replace all four and see if that fixes your issue. with this information your fuel pump probably has nothing at all to do with the problem.
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Wheels/Tires