jQuery not supported.

Spare Tire Relocation

Anyone have some tips?

Spare Tire Relocation

Postby 05Canuck [OP] » Nov 09 2019, 2:46pm

Looking to relocate my spare (this is waaaaay overdue) from under the truck to somewhere in the bed. I also need to re-size (this is also waaaaaay overdue) the tire to the same as I have on the truck. I hate to even think of what I would go thru road side swapping fronts and backs so I don't tear the rear end out of the truck.
Anyway!! Anybody done this to there truck? Suggested parts/brands/shortcuts and tips would be appreciated. Not a big deal if I keep the tonneau cover on the truck.
Original Poster
05Canuck
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 53
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 5.3 CCSB
Group Membership:
Global moderators
Registered users

Re: Spare Tire Relocation

Postby CardBoard » Nov 09 2019, 2:53pm

Everybody I know that goes aftermarket rims and tires , just puts it in the bed of the truck with a strap ,I have 5 rims and tires 24 inch matching ,and there's no way I'm putting that nice rum under.
24x10 snowflake rims
4300k HID's light's LED fogs
50 watt reverse LED lights
All interior led lights & LED tailgate spoiler
7inch Eonon GA8180 head unit
9 inch tv headrest
All Cerwin Vega Speakers 2 12inch subs vented box
Mobile 4g/pedal commander/Intune 3
CardBoard
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 34
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 5.3 LT Crewcab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rambodog » Nov 09 2019, 3:33pm

The only reason I don't like removing the spare from under the truck is because the spare blocks a lot of crap from reaching the electronics hub above the spare and the back side of the tow wiring behind the bumper. I kept the stock wheel and just put a correct size tire on it (285/70/17) in my case. If this were to not fit due to a much larger size being used, I would still leave OE under the truck and get a new or used wheel and a tire to match my current setup and put it in the bed.
Z Gloss/Undercoat-Leer-AVS-BedRug-Morimoto-Winjet-Lamin X-Kenwood-Rockville-Focal-Rockford-Sundown-Lewtune-Llumar-Airaid-TeamRXP-Diode Dynamics-Halo-DynoMax-Carven-PowerStop-Toyo-Moto Metal-American Racing-WeatherTech-AMP-Fumoto-Moog-Amsoil-Mobil1
Rambodog's 2014 Silverado 1500 5.3 Build
Rambodog
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 58
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2014
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 4X4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Nov 09 2019, 4:07pm

I'm honestly not sure if the spare being there helps or hurts the fpcm or the rest of the harnesses.

There's a ton of crud that builds up there with the spare and the only way to get it clean is to remove the spare tire. I lower mine down every now and then and clean the area. Especially in the winter.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 116
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Rambodog » Nov 09 2019, 4:23pm

I only figured this out when I removed my spare to clean up surface rust above it where the factory coating basically fell off. It was relatively clean up there when I dabbed some POR15 on the spots. I left the spare in the bed of truck for over a week till I got a chance to check things before I put the spare back. There was definitely more junk up there and all over the harnesses that wasn't there when I first pulled down the spare, so I assume the spare was blocking much of what could be getting up there. It doesn't keep all the crud out obviously, but it seems to help having the spare there.
Z Gloss/Undercoat-Leer-AVS-BedRug-Morimoto-Winjet-Lamin X-Kenwood-Rockville-Focal-Rockford-Sundown-Lewtune-Llumar-Airaid-TeamRXP-Diode Dynamics-Halo-DynoMax-Carven-PowerStop-Toyo-Moto Metal-American Racing-WeatherTech-AMP-Fumoto-Moog-Amsoil-Mobil1
Rambodog's 2014 Silverado 1500 5.3 Build
Rambodog
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 58
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 4X4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby OilFracker » Nov 09 2019, 5:02pm

I did the cheapest method with a ratchet strap, HD log chain and a padlock. Why-because i did not find any premanufacturered equipment.

The log chain is dual purpose. It makes thieves work extra hard to steal my spare and....it can be used to pull or secure a load too.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
14' 1500 Sierra SLE 5.3L Z71
OilFracker
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 SLE 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby donkeyfarmer » Nov 10 2019, 12:34am

Back in the 1960s it was common to see pickup trucks with front-mounted spare tires, but that was when trucks had substantial steel front bumpers that large u-bolts could go around or other bolts could go through to hold a vertical structure for the spare's wheel to mount on. I don't know what a spare mounting assembly could bolt onto in the front of a modern pick-up.

With 8-foot-bed pickups it's not hard to bolt or just bungee a spare tire-on-rim in front or behind the wheel well hump on either side of the bed. Unfortunately, I've discovered with my new-to-me 2006 Silverado with a 6.5-foot bed that space is too small. So I'm going to mount the spare I found on craigslist (truck didn't come with one), along the front wall of the box, on the driver's side, but I have to do some repair and reinforcement to the top lip of the box first.

It used to be fairly common to see SUVs with a rear-mount spare on an assembly that would fold to the side, to allow use of the tailgate and/or rear hatch. I don't know why that kind of spare mount isn't also made for pick-up trucks.
donkeyfarmer
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 4x4 4.8L Ext.Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Wheels/Tires