jQuery not supported.

Spin balancing and steering wheel vibtate

Spin balancing and steering wheel vibtate

Postby HiYoSilverado09 [OP] » Jan 13 2021, 7:47pm

I got 4 new tires installed and overall I'm satisfied but I detected some steering wheel slight vibration at approximately 40-50 miles ph and it goes away when I speed up or drive at lower speeds. I would say at 45 mph is when I first noticed it. I'm thinking when I get my oil changed I will get the tires rotated and spin balanced again since it's recommended. But can this scenario be expected as just a normal consequence of an older vehicle or should I raise hell at the tire shop? I have no reason to believe there was any incompetence performed by the installer. They spin balance the tires and put the weights on so there really isn't anything I can argue about. I can't prove the tires are defective if they would bring that up as a reason. I feel it's a balancing and weights issue but why would it vibrate at a certain speed if it's been machine balanced. I have no brakes issue or suspension issue. Miles are still low at 64/65k. The tires fit the truck and all. Kunho Crugen p275
Original Poster
HiYoSilverado09
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LTZ
Extra Info: LTZ 1500 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Spin balancing and steering wheel vibtate

Postby GBSierraSLE » Jan 13 2021, 7:58pm

Rotating the tires should help you determine if the vibes are coming from the tires or the front-end of the truck. If the vibes move/change, it's the tires.
You might want to have the tires road force balanced instead of just spin.
'13 ECSB 4x4 5.3 6sp 3.42 G80 Z60 Z82 Bght new, 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Stone Liner, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED 21,000 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 EC 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby HiYoSilverado09 [OP] » Jan 13 2021, 8:18pm

The back wheel has 2 weights on it, a normal sized and a smaller one.
Original Poster
HiYoSilverado09
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2009
Variant: LTZ
Extra Info: LTZ 1500 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jake2250 » Jan 13 2021, 8:36pm

You paid for mount and balance, if you are not happy take it back and tell them or take them for a ride and show them.
Should not have any vibration from new tires.Let them figure it out and fix it! You paid for it and have the right to be satisfied!
jake2250
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 1960
Extra Info: Apache Step side
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby esox07 » Jan 13 2021, 9:03pm

Yah, either the tires are bad or the balance is off. You don't want either. Take it back and have them figure it out. They will probably try to blame worn front end parts, but if it didn't happen before the new tires were put on, then it is clearly the tires or the balance.
2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 290
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby tsuintxtsuintx is online! » Jan 13 2021, 9:36pm

I third going back and requesting them to redo it. If you think they were doing a good job and also treated you well, they should have no problem checking them again. And what ever it is, You gave them bunch of money for the tires after all.The sooner you go, the better.
2016 Silverado LT 4x4 Crew Cab
2015 Suburban LT
2012 BMW K1600GTL Premium
2011 Infiniti G37
2010 Infiniti G37x
tsuintxtsuintx is online!
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 11
Year: 2016
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 4x4 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SS » Jan 14 2021, 12:54am

I would go back right now. If the new shake is in the steering wheel, then that means it's one of the new front tires. No sense trying to play around mixing tires.

However, just to be safe, it might be worth checking out the front end components to make sure everything is tight before you go back. And they might try to pass the buck and blame it on front end wear, so you would be ready to reply "I just checked the whole front end, everything is tight".
Chevy-SS
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: LS 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Wheels/Tires