jQuery not supported.

Tire balancing issues - bead balancing?

what's your opinion on balancing beads?

Re: Tire balancing issues - bead balancing?

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 02 2014, 3:10am

Sorry to bump this so much - but I'm not getting a lot of responses.

I picked up some crosman bbs from wallyworld they're .25g each and there's 5000 of them. I was thinking of splitting them up 4 ways and putting them into the tires to see how it goes.

Has anyone put the beads in and been able to balance them on a roadforce balancer? I've heard theres a special technique you have to use.
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wildchevy » Aug 02 2014, 5:41am

OK I have to say it, DON'T USE BB's they are not balancing beads they will eat the tire from the inside out.
wildchevy
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 40
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 1960
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 02 2014, 4:57pm

They're the hard plastic kind. I've made sure not to get the kind that eat the tire from the inside out. I picked out the crosman .25g pellets (they're actually round, but called pellets) and multiple people recommend them - saying that they've put them in their tires for 4 + years and they caused no damage.

However, the metal bbs I've heard can rust and disintegrate.
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CKNSLS » Aug 02 2014, 5:05pm

Most Techs don't use the Hunter Balancing machine correctly because it takes too much time. All shops have these. The trick is to rotate the tire on the rim to where the machine tells you. You balance the high spot of the tire to the low spot of the rim-or something like that.

Did the Tech do that?
CKNSLS
Topics: 32
Year: 2018
Extra Info: 5.3 Crew Cab LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 02 2014, 5:08pm

They were done at discount tire. The techs seemed to be extremely knowledgeable and did not rotate the tire on the rim unless I asked them to - and then they just rotated it 180 on the rim not as you described. From what I can remember the machine didn't tell them to rotate it on the rim, just to add weights. They only rotated the tire/ and wheel to put the weights on. The tires were able to get 0'ed out but not until adding a ridiculous amount of weight. Some took up to 12 oz.

I took back my truck another time to get the fronts rebalanced by the way - somehow they were out of balance after only a few days.

I didn't see anywhere the machine could indicate where the high spot on the tire was vs the low spot on the rim. But I'm not trained on the machine. Should I take it back and have them rebalance all 4 one last time before trying the beads?
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CKNSLS » Aug 02 2014, 5:39pm

They didn't balance the tire 100%. The Hunter balancing machine can be used to balance the high spot of the tire to the low spot of the rim. When tires have excessive run out-this needs to be done.

1. Match mounting a tire and rim by matching the high point or stiff spot in the tire with the lowest spot in the rim, can make the wheel "round when rolling."

2. In some cases a wheel is so out of round it should be replaced.

3. In some cases a tire with excessive Force Variation is defective.

More info here-
http://www.hogantire.com/shop-for-tires ... force.aspx
CKNSLS
Topics: 32
Year: 2018
Extra Info: 5.3 Crew Cab LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 02 2014, 6:52pm

Went by the local discount tire and they had 9 cars waiting so I have to go back. The manager tried telling me that because the tires are a little bit chopped that this will cause the excessive vibration I'm feeling - even though they weren't this bad previously. Tried telling him that they need to match high spot of the tire to the low spot of the rim when they balance it. He told me they did - I watched them and they never moved the tire around on the rim previously. Tried telling me that the machine will tell them to do such a thing if it's necessary. Asked him why it never showed up when my rims and tires were being balanced and he had no real answer to that.

Guess I'll go by monday and have them try it one last time. I'm starting to get tired of wasting money balancing these damn tires when it never works. If the balance doesn't work on monday I guess I'll resort to throwing the beads in.

Any other suggestions? I'm currently at a complete loss of where to go if they don't balance out - besides beads.
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wildchevy » Aug 02 2014, 8:23pm

Please post some pictures of the tires.
wildchevy
Topics: 40
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 1960
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 02 2014, 9:50pm

Well this sucks. I went in to put the beads in the tires to see if it'd work.. Spent like 45$ to have them put in. Drove down the road back home and my front steering wheel is shaking even more violently than ever. It feels like the tires are almost balanced right I dont feel a lot of shaking its just the front wheel. where did I go wrong? Too little beads? too much?

Maybe I shouldn't of removed all the weights - after doing some reading I've heard that beads don't fix lateral imbalance which would be what's shaking my steering wheel. When the tires go on the roadforce balancer will they still be able to balance them with the beads inside? Man this is becoming a huge headache :?
I'll post some pictures here shortly.
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Voodoo » Aug 02 2014, 10:52pm

I have beads in my tires....they don't work that well IMHO. Below 45 the truck is smooth as silk. Over 45, depending if the beads went where they were supposed to, it might ride smooth or it might have the exact steering shake you described. Then, ya hit a bump and the beads go to where they're supposed to and it's smooth again lmao. When my new wheels get here, I will INSIST they're balanced with external weight.
Voodoo
Topics: 157
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2016
Extra Info: LTZ 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Wheels/Tires