jQuery not supported.

Tire balancing issues - bead balancing?

what's your opinion on balancing beads?

Re: Tire balancing issues - bead balancing?

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 02 2014, 11:29pm

I've heard mixed reviews and you're probably right voodoo. However, after driving a little more I noticed that its only the steering wheel shake - other than that it rides incredibly smooth.

I have a feeling I need to get the tires laterally balanced (I was an idiot and removed all the weights and didn't leave any of the lateral balancing weights). The symptoms I have match exactly what a lateral imbalance would be and the dynabeads website says that beads will not fix lateral vibration.

Anyone know if a roadforce balancer will be able to read the amount of lateral balancing the tires will need if they have beads in them? I know the beads only work above 25mph or something but I don't know how fast it spins the tires.
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jimnfor » Aug 02 2014, 11:35pm

In one of your firsts posts you state the tires are cupped or chopped, THAT is your problem. PERIOD. You can't balance that out, the rubber has changed it's shape. No amount of weights, beads etc will cause that tire to regain it's circular shape.
*under construction*
jimnfor
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Extra Info: 5.3 Tahoe LT
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby wildchevy » Aug 02 2014, 11:46pm

^^^ Exactly why I asked for pictures, can't do anything without them.
wildchevy
Topics: 40
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 1960
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby pcolaroy » Aug 03 2014, 12:00am

Been reading and don't have much to offer except this question...

Assuming there is enough tread left, aren't there large truck shops that can actually trim material off of the O.D. (tread) to bring the tires back round?
pcolaroy
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 18
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 5.3L Z85
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 03 2014, 12:13am

I agree with you that the tires being chopped will not help. But the tires are not chopped THAT badly. If at one time the tires ran smooth, and then the bead moved or a weight shifted, then why would the tires be unable to balanced if they were previously? Like I said, I completely agree that them being chopped doesn't help. But The vibrations I'm speaking of don't occur this substantially, considering how they aren't chopped THAT bad. While I completely respect your opinion, I must disagree. As said in my last post, the tires are balanced now from the beads, they just are not laterally balanced, which is evident by the steering wheel shake. I was stupid to remove all the weights - i should of left them and removed the non lateral weights one by one.

In response to pcolaroy - I have heard of that and I want to give it a try, however I haven't been able to find a shop local that does that sort of thing. Usually places that retread tires have that kind of machine - so I hear.

I apologize for not posting pictures sooner - here ya go:

Fourth tire is the worst - if you need more pictures let me know.

20140802_190121.jpg

20140802_190130.jpg

20140802_190143.jpg

20140802_190156.jpg
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wildchevy » Aug 03 2014, 12:58am

Need a side shot looking across the top of the tire so we can see just how bad they are cupped.
wildchevy
Topics: 40
Year: 1960
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 03 2014, 1:38am

I spoke a little too soon earlier saying that they don't work. I've been able to get a couple 5 mile trips in and all i can say is WOW. I got my truck all the way up to 65mph (I never thought id be able to do hwy speeds with these damn mud tires) and it was seriously smooth. The steering wheel shake evened out and I imagine when I get it laterally balanced itll make a world of difference at lower speeds where I'm getting the steering wheel wobble.

Woops - I'll take some more.

How's this? My old tires were cupped more than this :lol: the only thing I notice that's uneven is some chunks of tread are lower than others.

20140802_202709.jpg

20140802_202720.jpg

20140802_202731.jpg

20140802_202742.jpg
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Welcher774 » Aug 03 2014, 1:56am

I've had success using Equal in P tires. One of my friends had 24"s on his armada, I'd balance out tire on the road force machine, then break down one side of the tire throw in a 3 oz bag. He said would drive it and good to go. Before had high speed vibration.

I disagree with stripping the wheel weights and just using balancing beads. I discovered prob back in 2006 , I asked my tire supplier said we use equal for commercial why not for passenger tires. Tried it and it worked.

Good luck.
Welcher774
Topics: 62
Extra Info: 1500 crewcab 5.3 2wd
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 03 2014, 2:02am

I've learned that now - They're terribly out of lateral balance and I'll have to put them back on a roadforce machine to get them back, because I was stupid and removed the weights. Do you think that I can leave the beads in and put them on the roadforce machine? I've heard people doing it but it required a certain technique.

Thank you for chiming in welcher, I'll remember to use equal for p rated tires and to never strip the weights before adding beads. I just hope when I take it to discount they wont mind taking the beads out and putting them back in, if its necessary.
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Welcher774 » Aug 03 2014, 2:31am

Well I will tell you this working in a tire shop when dealing with custom stuff it can be a pita. Why you ask cause it's time consuming and you usually lose your shirt for the tire shop. My suggestion is be prepared to pay more money cause it's more work for them. Ask them what they would charge to break down the tires to remove the beads, rebalance and then install the beads.

Good luck.
Welcher774
Topics: 62
Extra Info: 1500 crewcab 5.3 2wd
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Wheels/Tires