jQuery not supported.

Tire balancing issues - bead balancing?

what's your opinion on balancing beads?

Re: Tire balancing issues - bead balancing?

Postby wildchevy » Aug 03 2014, 2:42am

Someone got their monies worth out of those tires, they look worn to the point they would be coming off my truck, not going on. I think your just throwing away good money after bad.
wildchevy
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 40
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 1960
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 03 2014, 3:24am

They should last me another 10k at least... I think the tread is pretty good on them but hey I could be wrong.

I'll try that welcher. Do you say that I should ask them to balance without the beads because the roadforce balancer won't work with the beads in them?
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Welcher774 » Aug 03 2014, 3:36am

The reason to remove beads before balancing is it will skew the results. The beads constantly rotate in tire and will yield false results.
Welcher774
Topics: 62
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 crewcab 5.3 2wd
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 03 2014, 3:38am

Roger that! I'll have them remove the beads and re-balance them, then add the beads back? I'm going to be a happy camper if this finally fixes my issues. So far the tires seem smooth up to 65mph other than the lateral imbalance. Hoping it works :D Ready for this pita to be over with.
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Copperhead » Aug 03 2014, 5:57pm

I am not an advocate of something working in every situation, but some perspective.

I run 445/50R22.5 rubber on the drives on my commercial semi truck, commonly called "super singles". Now, keeping something that big balanced and getting good tire life can be a problem. I run balancing beads in them. They are NOT spin balanced before mounting. I currently have 287,000 miles on the original tires, they still have 16/32 tread left on them. No uneven wear in the least. Easily a set of 400,000 mile tires, which is nice since they are over $1000 a pop to replace.

Now that being said, my steers on the same truck, they get spun up and balanced, but they also have Balance Masters balancing rings on behind the rims. Not a apples for apples comparison, but it works best for that position compared to the balancing beads in the drives.

I like 'em. I will continue to use them. Now, for the stock rubber on my pickup, I have considered the beads, but have not done it. Not sure I will. We'll see at the next set of tires I put on.

Key thing is, you have to have the correct amount of beads based on the tire in question. You can have too many or too little. Usually the bead maker offers a guide chart that tells how much to use. Follow it and don't go by some tech idea of what you should use.
Freedom is not having the choice to do what you want, but the choice to do what you ought.
Copperhead
Topics: 38
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 2500HD LT Z71 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 03 2014, 7:03pm

Copperheard, I remember reading you talking about that during my research and that's great to hear. I wonder if lateral imbalance isn't such a problem with the taller less wide tires on your commercial semi. Well, actually you said that they only use the beads in the drives so there wouldn't be as much of an issue in lateral imbalance there I would imagine. My steering wheel shakes like hell until I'm up above 50 which leads me to believe they need to be laterally balanced with beads as well. I think I've got the right amount of beads - 8oz was recommended and the tires have about 8-10oz in them.

I went to my local firestone who had a roadforce balancer because I couldn't wait to get this issue resolved. They wanted to charge me like $88 which is too much, got them to $78. When the tech came out who was going to do the work on my truck he kept telling me that its not a good idea to use beads after balancing the tire because they would counteract each other. At this point I pretty much knew he had no idea what he was talking about because of the multitude of people recommending you add beads after spin balancing. I repeatedly told him about how the beads are currently statically balancing the tires and the only shake I get is from lateral imbalance. I got tired of wasting my breath and I knew that he wasn't going to do good work on my truck so I just left and said forget it - I'll wait until tomorrow and go to discount tire where they'll charge me less and do what I ask rather than telling me it won't work.

I trust the input of welcher in what he says concerning spin balancing then adding beads and I will be trying it - regardless of what other people say. Has anyone heard of the beads "counteracting" the balancing weights? The guys there continuously tried telling me they get people in all the time who get it balanced then beads and it doesn't work. Sounded like BS to me considering the guy kept telling me not to do it to begin with. I suppose professional advice is really that hard to come by these days. :?
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Copperhead » Aug 03 2014, 8:09pm

I have no idea if the fastened on weights are an issue with balancing beads. They don't "counter act" each other, as the beads just position themselves in the rotating tire to match any out of balance condition. If they are already spin balanced, there might not be any slight out of balance condition so they should just spread evenly around the tire as it rotates. Personally, I wouldn't even waste the time and cost to spin up balance if using balancing beads. I don't spin up the semi truck tires I have them in. Just the beads. 287,000 miles on them and they are only about at their half life, that speaks volumes about the method I am using.
Freedom is not having the choice to do what you want, but the choice to do what you ought.
Copperhead
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 03 2014, 8:34pm

I've got the beads in now and they do wonders balancing the tires, the only problem is they won't balance them laterally. I can get up to 70mph without any vibration where as before I'd get up to 60 the truck would shake to all hell. When I'm at lower speeds anywhere from 30-60 the steering wheel will shake like all hell has broken loose. From what I've read this is due to lateral imbalance - which balancing beads won't fix.

287,000 miles is insane. That's a lot of money saved!
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wildchevy » Aug 03 2014, 8:44pm

All the commercial tire vendors I deal with use Equal instead of beads, maybe it is just easier to toss a bag or two in when mounting the tires. I have never had a problem with them using it.
http://www.imiproducts.com/?gclid=CPjbj ... MgodyBoARQ
wildchevy
Topics: 40
Year: 1960
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Copperhead » Aug 03 2014, 9:10pm

Well, with beads you just toss in a bag or more depending on the tire size, same as equal. One thing about beads though, they are not affected by water, where equal can clump. Used to use equal, but when beads showed up, moved over to using them. Cleanup is easier on a tire dismount also. Not a lot of powder crap that needs vacuumed up. Beads just scoop out and can be reused.
Copperhead
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Wheels/Tires