jQuery not supported.

Tire balancing issues - bead balancing?

what's your opinion on balancing beads?

Re: Tire balancing issues - bead balancing?

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 04 2014, 4:00pm

Well I've got her in the tire shop to get the beads removed, tires balanced, and the tires put back. I'll report back with results. I hope this fixes my tire balance issues once and for all.

Edit: now discount tire is telling me that the balancing beads and weights won't work. Told them to do it anyway. Anyone know why they keep telling me it won't work even though multiple people say it works.
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Welcher774 » Aug 04 2014, 6:05pm

My take is they don't understand them. If it were my truck I'd do it anyway.
Welcher774
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 62
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 crewcab 5.3 2wd
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby Bud_d » Aug 04 2014, 6:27pm

I had trouble with tire balancing on my old truck. When I took it back in for rebalancing, I watched them and asked them to check the tires without taking the existing weights off. Usually the tires were off my a half ounce or so.

I finally put beads in them, and they worked great. I left the existing weights on the wheels. But, what I found was on our terrible roads, with the waviness of the pavement, the beads would try to dynamically rebalance the tire as I drove. Made it much worse. I finally had the beads removed and balanced the tires again, after confirming the shop had calibrated the machine that day. Everything was great after that.

Doug
Bud_d
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 6 spd 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Wayne58 » Aug 04 2014, 6:49pm

My first experience with tires and wheel balance was in the mid 60's > Bias ply tires then belted tires then radial tires yes and even Retreaded tires etc > In more than 50 years of driving I can only remember one tire that could not be balanced > it was a glass belted tire with a broken belt > whether using a static balancer , a dynamic spin balancer or a on the vehicle balancer > if a wheel/tire combinations more than 4 oz of counter balance you have to consider a defect some where >>> all wheels should be checked for run out and balance before installing tires and then the tires installed and balanced >>> That's my $ .10 cents worth
SIGNITURE by TOTAL CHAOS ~~~ JEFF ~~~
Image Rainforest Green Metallic & Coco Dune Interior
Wayne58
Topics: 55
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: LTZ 5.3 L 6 sp
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 04 2014, 7:18pm

Great input, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who's had to deal with balancing issues and beads. Almost all of my tires took more than 4 oz (more like 14 oz LOL) so I think that the majority of them are in fact riddled with defects. I did have them check my rims for runout and holy **** apparently they're on spec with a porsche, 0.003 inches out or something like that. Which completely puts the fault on the tires, as many have said.

However, after telling them to do it anyway, they did - and it worked! They must not of known what they were talking about because jesus I can't believe it, my tires are now almost perfectly balanced. Of course I still get some shake because the tires are chopped and out of round - only 0.03 inches which is not bad at all and they weren't able to get enough weight on the rim to perfectly balance them because they required so much, more weight would of rubbed the caliper. The common problems with beads I see pretty clearly now, sometimes they'll get stuck in the wrong spots and the truck will shake a little bit, but its much better than before and I can live with it. The best part is that I can actually get up to highway speeds! I'll probably run these tires bald then pick up some new nitto trail grapplers for my truck.

I appreciate all the help everyone has provided me and I hope this helps others who have issues with their tires. I learned to buy new tires from now on, as used tires aren't the best even though they are cheap. Now, used tires may not always be bad. But the majority of the time people sell their used tires for a reason. You guys are the best and put up with me complaining about these damn things for 5 whole pages. As I have always said, this forum really is the greatest and I'm honored to be a part of it.
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Wayne58 » Aug 04 2014, 8:00pm

I don't know if this applies in the OP's case > but if your buying or reinstalling used tires it is important to place them in the same operating position on the vehicle > a simple change in direction can lead to wear and balance issues >>> front to back on same side is acceptable but I never X-over when rotating tires >>> But I have not rotated tires in the last 25 years lol
SIGNITURE by TOTAL CHAOS ~~~ JEFF ~~~
Image Rainforest Green Metallic & Coco Dune Interior
Wayne58
Topics: 55
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: LTZ 5.3 L 6 sp
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Wheels/Tires