jQuery not supported.

Tire balancing issues - bead balancing?

what's your opinion on balancing beads?

Tire balancing issues - bead balancing?

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 01 2014, 6:20am

I recently installed some BFG m/t tires and have had the hardest time getting them to balance out properly. Tonight I switched the tires around in a x pattern and it took care of the weird sound I was hearing when turning (I can only assume it was because the tire making the noise was chopped or a belt was seperating - I hope it isn't). Sounded like a bad bearing, replaced the bearings and the sound was still there.

Would balancing beads help keep the tires in balance considering the standard weights aren't working? When I get over 45 the front steering wheel will shake and the entire truck is vibrating from the tires. I know they're mud tires and I don't expect them to be perfect but they shouldn't be this bad.
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Tire balancing issues - bead balancing?

Postby wildchevy » Aug 01 2014, 6:35am

If you bought these used for a good price they are probably junk, sounds like they are out of round or have broken belts, what did the tire look like when spin balancing them. I would never consider using beads in a passenger tire to balance it. Cooperhead will be along soon to tell you what he thinks about beads.
wildchevy
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 40
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 1960
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 01 2014, 6:45am

They were balanced at my local discount tire on a roadforce balancing machine. The tires looked chopped but they belts looked completely fine. I've looked up the symptoms of a bad belt and its usually very very distinct and visible to the naked eye. I sure can't see any bulges or deformities. The roadforce machine said that they were out of round about 0.003 ( or it could of been 0.03, not 100% sure) on the worst tire.

A lot of people on the jeep forum have praised balancing beads for tires 35 inches and larger. However, I asked here for your opinions, and I would greatly appreciate it.

What don't you like about using beads in passenger tires? I mean, technically theyre mud tires. But are you classifying them as a passenger tire because I'm used them on a truck and not an atv or something other than a road vehicle.
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wildchevy » Aug 01 2014, 6:56am

What does your tire say for size? Pxxx/xxrxx or LTxxx/xxrxx?
wildchevy
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 01 2014, 7:05am

LT315/75r16 BFG m/t km2 load range D. Oh yeah, 121 q m+s if that matters. Just trying to be thorough. Appreciate the help wildchevy.
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wildchevy » Aug 01 2014, 7:08am

OK with a LT tire you could try them, but as I stated I would never run them in P rated tires, I feel that the tire carcass on a P rated tire won't stand up to the beads. I should have made that more clear in my first post. Sorry.
wildchevy
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 01 2014, 7:13am

No problem! We all make mistakes. There's only one perfect guy on here anyway...onlyinachevy :lol: I think I'll order some dynapro beads, about 8-10oz as recommended by their site and see how it works out.
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wildchevy » Aug 01 2014, 3:05pm

mitchell0715 wrote:No problem! We all make mistakes. There's only one perfect guy on here anyway...onlyinachevy :lol: I think I'll order some dynapro beads, about 8-10oz as recommended by their site and see how it works out.

Holy crap, with that you just made my friends list. :lol:
wildchevy
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 01 2014, 7:32pm

Always nice to make new friends, although I consider all of the people on here my friends. Well, except the perfect one. He didn't want my friendship. 8-)

Thinking of getting the 10 oz bag of dynabeads offroad beads. They're said to be a little larger and better for aggressive tires. They're damn expensive though, about $90 for all of them. I've heard that you can balance out the tires on a roadforce balancing machine but there's a special technique you have to use - any one have ideas on what this is?

Anyone know of any other alternatives that are cheaper? Or possibly a cheaper source for the beads.
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchell0715 [OP] » Aug 01 2014, 9:26pm

Just an update - It seems like every time I get up above 55 it gets worse each time. Right after they were balanced it was actually smooth, then each time I get it up above 55 or 60 it gets worse and worse. Throwing weights... bead shifting... what could it be?
Original Poster
mitchell0715
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Wheels/Tires