jQuery not supported.

Wheel Spacers

My take and knowledge of wheel spacers

Re: Wheel Spacers

Postby KOZ45 » May 05 2020, 3:00pm

How thick of slide on wheel spacers are safe to use with the stock lugs?

1/4? 5/16? 3/8?
2016 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71
Midnight Edition
5.3L V8 / 8 Speed 8L90
Superlift 3.5" Lift / Duratrac 295/65R18
AFM Disabler
Injen Evolution Intake
Ported TB, Ported Manifold
KOZ45
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2016
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LTZ Z71 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » May 05 2020, 3:09pm

None of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 102
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby KOZ45 » May 05 2020, 3:19pm

ferraiolo1 wrote:None of them

Great post thanks
2016 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71
Midnight Edition
5.3L V8 / 8 Speed 8L90
Superlift 3.5" Lift / Duratrac 295/65R18
AFM Disabler
Injen Evolution Intake
Ported TB, Ported Manifold
KOZ45
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2016
Extra Info: LTZ Z71 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GOAT721 » May 05 2020, 3:23pm

i have to agree. with the inhearnt design of them, they just aren't safe. they put a lot of bending stress on the lugs rather than a pure shear force. either do the bolt on ones with their own set of studs, or get wheels with a different offset
2015, 1500, Z71, Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed
GOAT721
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 CCRB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » May 05 2020, 3:31pm

KOZ45 wrote:
ferraiolo1 wrote:None of them

Great post thanks
Any more dumb retorts?

We try and explain things in an idiot proof way to you. And you still question them. So we are just going to resort to simple replies.

ferraiolo1
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby AnbroBR » Aug 27 2020, 12:44pm

Apparently, wheel spacers are something relatively new. I had not seen any vehicles installed with these until I moved from northern Illinois to northeast Tennessee and have only noticed them recently. I guess I don't get around...

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to put these on a vehicle. Notwithstanding the increased load that is being placed on the vehicle's lugs, which in my opinion is a major safety concern, the tires protruding past the vehicle's fender wells allows the tires to throw up all kinds of dirt, gravel and whatever else happens to be laying in the road that the tires manage to pick up.

The next really stupid thing that I've only very recently noticed in regards to wheels and tires is the installation of some kind of a device that forces the center tops of the wheels to lean towards the center of the vehicle.

Maybe I'm just getting old (I am 69 years old), but it seems that people in the United States work overtime on figuring out ways to get others to waste money on stupid things. My opinions...
AnbroBR
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Year: 1995
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: K2500 HD 5.7L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GOAT721 » Aug 27 2020, 1:38pm

AnbroBR wrote:Apparently, wheel spacers are something relatively new. I had not seen any vehicles installed with these until I moved from northern Illinois to northeast Tennessee and have only noticed them recently. I guess I don't get around...

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to put these on a vehicle. Notwithstanding the increased load that is being placed on the vehicle's lugs, which in my opinion is a major safety concern, the tires protruding past the vehicle's fender wells allows the tires to throw up all kinds of dirt, gravel and whatever else happens to be laying in the road that the tires manage to pick up.

The next really stupid thing that I've only very recently noticed in regards to wheels and tires is the installation of some kind of a device that forces the center tops of the wheels to lean towards the center of the vehicle.

Maybe I'm just getting old (I am 69 years old), but it seems that people in the United States work overtime on figuring out ways to get others to waste money on stupid things. My opinions...

wheel spacers have been around for quite a while. the right kind and size of wheel spacer puts no more stress on the lugs than a wheel with lower offset. either way, in some situations, it can allow a vehicle to fit larger tires.

when you speak of a "device that forces the center tops of the wheel to lean towards the center of the vehicle", I would assume you are talking about camber. you can not alter camber on a solid axle. I assume you saw an import car that was nearly dragging on the ground. there is not a "device" that does this, it is a function of suspension geometry to get a car that low and have the tires fit into the body.
2015, 1500, Z71, Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed
GOAT721
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 CCRB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby AnbroBR » Aug 27 2020, 2:18pm

Yes, the vehicles that I have seen with the camber modifications have been foreign vehicles. The first time that I saw one of these vehicles was when I had my 2003 H*** Accord at the dealer for some work. Some one had pulled in with what appeared to be a relatively new H*** and had this modification, with some very unusual tires on it.

I still stand by my thoughts & opinion on spacers. They cannot help but introduce more load on the vehicle's lugs, because the weight of the tire & wheel assembly has been moved out further from the center of the vehicle. Look at it in terms of a fulcrum and lever. Simple physics; not rocket science. Automotive engineers, who are much smarter than we are, have gone to great effort to design these vehicles.

Best regards...
AnbroBR
Topics: 9
Year: 1995
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: K2500 HD 5.7L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Aug 27 2020, 2:25pm

Good wheel spacers are hub centric. So all the lugs are doing is providing the clamping force.

Personally I don't like wheel spacers, but as long as they are of good quality and hub centric, they are fine to use providing you take the steps to ensure they remain torqued.

And the whole leverage thing, its no different than running a lower offset wheel. The same thing is being achieved. And there really are not many issues guys run into having lower offsets. Obviously it puts more stress on the hub assemblies, but more often than not, its a non issue.

And don't even get me started on engineers lol. They may be "smart" but they are also some of the dumbest, nonsensical people out there lol. Stuff they design for vehicles/equipment is literally done to make the most money for the company, and seemingly be the most impossible to repair and/or replace
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 141
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Aug 27 2020, 3:33pm

AnbroBR wrote:. Simple physics; not rocket science..

If you understood how hubcentric spacers work you would understand they are perfectly fine, because, simply physics.

ferraiolo1
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Wheels/Tires