Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Hi all.

My wife and I bought a pop up camper during COVID and are looking to upgrade to a travel trailer. I've been trying to stay around 32 feet or less and about 6,000 lbs. I recently bought a '22 Silverado RST crew cab w/ a short bed and a 5.3 v8. Towing capacity is 9,200 lbs.

For the most part we camp state parks within a couple hours of the house but wouldn't mind venturing out a little further. We live in Ohio so no mountains here but if we were to go south through West Virginia or Tennessee we could hit mountains if we went that route.

Is this a realistic set up? Am I pushing the limits too far with a 1/2 ton and a trailer of this size or should I be looking at something smaller? The camper we like is pretty much right at 6k.
I tow a 6600# (actual weight loaded for a 9 week trip on a CAT scale) travel trailer with my GMC Sierra 5.3L 6 speed (6L80) transmission 3.42 axle with the Z82 tow package. I've towed over 60,000 miles with my truck and it does fine on grades up to 7%. I towed that trailer up a 10% grade in the Grand Tetons and that was the only time it felt under powered. It didn't overheat the engine or transmission but had to pull it in low gear, not enough power/torque to pull in 2nd. But these Tennessee hills are no problem and did not have any trouble with the Rockies staying on the Interstates where the grades are usually only 6% - 7%.

· Registered
28 Posts
Dry weight of the camper is 5869. Hitch weight capacity from Forest River is listed at 650 (I'm assuming this would be the hitch weight with a fully loaded rig. Cargo capacity is 1300 lbs but I can't see ever coming close to that). Max tongue weight on the truck is 920.

Obviously safety is my biggest concern and #2 is overworking the truck. I really didn't want to get an HD truck because it's also my daily driver. Also don't know that it would fit in the garage. It's close with the 1500.
Hitch weight is as it came off the assembly line, no batteries or propane tanks. Your loaded hitch weight will be 11% of the loaded trailer weight (based on the ratio of hitch weight to dry weight which are both measured as it came off the assembly line. And based on my experience having owned three travel trailers your loaded weight will be close to the GVWR of the trailer. My current trailer was just 90# under the GVWR when I weighed it loaded for an extended trip.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts