Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Yeah the exhaust clamp deal works great for bed anchors. Had them for 10 years in my old truck and used them probably a thousand times. One of my very few truly genius ideas. haha

I put Tahoe liners in the back to help block road salt and road spray from washing off the Fluid Film. Rough Country sells a set that fit truck beds without and modification, but they didn't work with the gooseneck brackets so I sent them back and grabbed a pair of Tahoe ones.

I also finally installed that AAM helical LSD that I bought a few months ago. First time setting up gears but it went pretty smooth. The ass end did like to step out during that heavy rain we got from Isaias. Haven't been doing a lot of throttle oversteer since the Camaro came apart. haha
AAM11.5 D***e helical diff

·
Premium Member
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
2,621 Posts
I knew someone made the fender liners, thought about getting some for the rear of my truck but it was always on the bottom of the list, like tow mirrors... lol

Just read your thread about the Tracrite, that was a sweet deal you got. I thought you had bought one new when you posted before. They want big money for the helical units.... Good to know the dodge part is a direct swap. To bad I have the 10.5" and not the 11.5" so I don't think it would work for me. (At least I'm pretty sure the gas 2500HD got the 10.5" and 8.1/duramax got the 11.5" 14 bolt.)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Yup. I'm fairly certain the 6.0s got the 10.5 rear. 3500 6.0s might have the 11.5 though, not sure.

I've never liked the look of tow mirrors, but I do enough towing they sure could come in handy. Chevy Express vans got several options for mirrors, and they don't look so huge. Power heated Express mirrors with a convex bottom and amber turn signals are just under $100. I'll probably go that route at some point. From what I read, the two bottom studs line up and you just have to relocate the top stud and then trim the base to fit the truck door. If need be I can Duraglass it and Raptor line it, too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I just took my Camaro out body shopping. I've been waiting 3 years for my buddy to do it...but I'm pretty much forced to look at other options. It's definitely pricier at actual shops - about double - but at this point...I'm sure I already have $25k in something I can't even drive. So what's a few more grand to actually get it DONE?

To get it in and out of the garage I drilled a hole in the winch hitch and used a stud in the floor anchor and nut to mount the winch tight to the floor. I used an eyelet in the other floor anchor with a snatch block to keep the weight spread across both anchors. Worked perfect.

Drove about 80 miles to 4 shops to get quotes. One was "nope, too busy". Two were around 6,000 and one was 15,000.

I gopro'd a POV since the Camaro hasn't seen road miles in forever! hahaha

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Companion mod with the rear wheel well liners was a pair of 2" BORA spacers. Tire was too tight for my liking without them, and I also like the aesthetics of a tire flush with the fender like the front. I don't know why it looks so much meaner like that, but it does.

I spent the money for top notch quality USA-made BORA spacers and they actually machined them wrong...it was 114mm ID on the wheelcentric ring, and my axle measured 114.6mm. But rather than send them back to lathe down a lip that was only about 1mm thick anyway, I put the truck in 4th gear on jackstands and "lathed" the axle a hair with an air belt sander. Fitment is perfect now...probably even better than if BORA had machined them correctly. haha

And if your eyes are good, you might notice the next mod I'm working on in the last pic.

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
The rears are really 2" narrower track per side?

I had read once before about the different track widths between front/back. Someone had explained that the front had a wider track width so that it would take a different path than the rear, basically so that you have more coverage on the ground I think. For example in snow, your front wheels claw a path that is wider than the rear, so the rear wheels claw an extra 1"+ to the inside on the snow (or mud/terrain/etc). Well it was described something to that effect.

I don't know if that was true or not, maybe the engineering for the front just made it to difficult to make it match the rears with independent suspension.

They do look better when they match though....

I spy some type of roof rack/ornament. I don't know if the backup camera was posted here yet either.

That looks like the same hitch I put on my truck, haven't even posted that to my page yet... it's next haha.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Yeah, 2in measured via a plumb bob fender to tire (didn't measure actual track width). Visually though, 1.75 probably would have been perfect.

My 80 Camaro is about 1.5 on each side too. But I fixed that with wider rear wheels. I read that most vehicles are built that way and it's for stability. And something about the turning radius front and rear being slightly different.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Here's the latest project I got tied up with. Decided to fix the roof paint before drilling and installing the roof rack. This is a half-ass $120 job with rattle cans. Basecoat in a can, 2k clear and SEM Blendz-In (not pictured). Didn't actually use the 2k primer cause my test showed that there was no way those two cans of base would get good coverage over the primer...so I went right over the existing base/clear. Didn't come out perfect, but I knew it wouldn't cause I didn't budget the time for perfect. That Camaro next to it will be "perfect" and it's still not done...

Doing a roof is definitely a stretch for the rattle can clear. It works great for small areas, but it was really hard to keep a wet edge and the spray pattern got ugly when the can was tipped. So the pillar and door frames and rear edge of the roof came out with a nice surface, but the main roof has some orange peel. The new clear blended in pretty well - not as well as the 2013 rocker I fixed this spring with the same process - but still pretty good. Older clear probably doesn't let the new stuff "melt" in as well. Huge improvement nevertheless for 2 days and $120. Shop foreman signed off on it. haha

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
Nice. Good to know it won't cost a fortune to fix my roof. It's just barely starting to peel (well it was, see how it survives this winter...) so I may not even need to re-primer it as the factory primer was in good shape underneath. White should be an easy match too....

I may have to clearcoat the whole roof though. Would that stop the original paint from continuing to chip off?

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,058 Posts
Nice job on the roof, as I found out painting is not hard.. its the prep work!

That looks great for rattle cans from what I can tell in the pictures.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Here's a little better picture of the roof without any water on it. Not great, but much better than it was.

I did buy Express mirrors and wow, what a pain in the ass. Lots of trimming to make them work, and I still have fiberglass work to do to make them actually look right and add the third stud. That stuff will probably wait until spring though. I did do some driving with them just using the 2 studs and man, the extra visibility is really nice. I'm not loving the aesthetics...probably still better than the huge tow mirrors on ebay...but you can't deny the functionality. I'll put the stock mirrors back on for the winter and then finish these up when the weather is better. I'm gonna have to use the truck as a fiberglass buck...and there's just not enough room in the garage with the Camaro in there. And I gotta get back on that car anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
Those mirrors look.... unique? haha. Just not quite right, like a baby/stubby version of the full tow mirrors. Functionally though, any of the tow mirrors are much better than the basic style.

Tow mirrors been on my wishlist forever but meh, you either pay big $$$ for the premade boost auto mirrors that are plug and play, or get the cheaper Ebay mirrors and have to rewire everything yourself. I guess there are the actual OEM tow mirrors that probably plug and play but they don't look as fancy as the "new" styled mirrors, and they likely go pretty expensive as used too.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts